Chapter 38

AMARACHI

I stood outside the gate with hot tears rolling down my cheeks. I really couldn't believe aunty Lydia's attitude to me.
What did i ever do to her?
I helped her fix a customer's cloth, shouldn't she be thanking me?

I could hear Nne shouting and wailing.
I wanted to step back inside but i was scared especially when aunty Lydia was still fuming with anger at me.

"Don't ever come back here!"aunty Lydia roared at me from inside.
I wiped my tears with the back of my palm and walked away from the gate.
I couldn't step inside with aunty Lydia so angry like a throbbing volcano.

I trudged towards our shop, trying to restrain myself from crumbling down in tears.
I couldn't even control the tears rolling down my cheeks anymore.
I rested under a mango tree and buried my face in my hands, crying bitterly.

I only wanted to help aunty Lydia, why was she misunderstanding my actions?

I kept on crying profusely.
"Amarachi"was the shrill voice I heard.
I immediately cleaned my tears and looked up.
It was Nonso.

"Amarachi why are you crying?
I know Lydia did something"Nonso said immediately.

"No I'm fine" I lied.
His brows drew a line and he scrunched his face.
He cupped my face in his hands and gazed at me with care and concern.

"Amarachi I can't stand to see you in tears. I know Lydia did something. Tell me"Nonso said softly to me.

I crumbled into tears and cried onto his chest. He hugged me and patted my back.
I told him everything that transpired between I and Lydia this morning.
He listened with rapt attention.

"So you mean Lydia actually chased you out of the house because you helped a customer fix her blouse?"Nonso rheotorically asked.

"Amarachi your aunty is unbelievable! I dislike that woman to be honest. She is wicked!"

I shook my head at Nonso,"Don't say that please"

He sighed deeply and hissed,"But you know what your aunty and uncle is doing is not fair"Nonso complained as he put his hand over my shoulder.
I knew he was right.
But what could i do?

I wore a sad look in my face and nodded my head.
"I know Nonso. It's fine ok. I'll wait here until Lydia calms down"

Nonso shook his head at me.
"Amarachi you are coming to my place. Besides I don't think you've had breakfast. You are coming with me and no objections"He said sternly.

I admired how much Nonso cared for me. I smiled at him and cleaned my face.
He flashed me a smile and we walked over to his house.

****************

"Sister o! You won't believe your ears"Adaora chirped as she entered into the house and spotted Becca folding some clothes.

Becca shrugged her shoulders at Adaora.
"What? Is Nkechi asking for her balance? See tell her I'll pay....."

"I saw Amara and Nonso together hugging"Adaora immediately said cutting becca short.

Becca eyes widened and she furrowed her eyebrows,"You are joking?"

Adaora looked at Becca, shocked for some seconds,"how would I joke to you about this? I saw them when I went to collect my change at Chinendu's shop. Amara was standing under the mango tree opposite Chinendu's shop and Nonso came over and hugged her and if you see the tight hugging ehn"

Becca couldn't believe her ears. She screamed Amarachi's name out in anger.
"Where are they?"Becca asked furiously.

"I don't really know but i think they should be in Nonso's house"

Becca immediately stood up,matching outside furiously as Adaora followed her behind.

AMARACHI

"Now eat up Amara"Nonso said as he placed a plate of rice and stew before me. We were sitting outside his house, enjoying the cool breeze.

"Should i bring malt?"Nonso asked as he sat by me.
I let out a laugh and shook my head at his request.
"No Nonso don't worry. I don't want malt. I am ok with water"

Nonso sighed and smiled at me,"I know you will never say yes but I'll still bring it anyways"

Before I could protest, Nonso went inside.
I laughed at his adamant attitude.
Seconds later he came out with a cold can of malt drink and set it before me.

We were talking and chatting happily. I had totally forgotten about what aunty Lydia did to me this morning.

Suddenly the gate opened with force and Becca and Adaora stepped inside.
When i saw Becca, a smile crept to my face and I glanced at Nonso, who didn't look so happy to see her.

I wondered why.
I stood up to meet Becca with a smile on my face.
Immediately she approached, I hugged her but she pushed me back and slapped me.

"Rebecca!"I and Nonso shouted simultaneously ,surprised by her behaviour.

Nonso came over to meet me and touched my cheek,"Amara are you fine?"
I nodded my head at him, still shocked by Becca's behaviour.

"Rebecca what is wrong with you?!"Nonso bellowed.
He looked so angry.

"So Amarachi you are doing this again right?I have tried my best to not let what you are doing affect me but you keep on getting me angry!"Becca yelled at me ignoring Nonso's question.

I was transfixed.
What did i do?
"What did i do becca?"

"Amara you are in the wrong o" Adaora added with folded arms as she glared at me.

"You are asking me what you did right?"Becca rheotorically asked.
Immediately she pounced on me.

Pushing me to the ground suddenly, she got ontop me violently and started hitting me as Nonso vehemently tried to separate us.
Adaora joined as she began hitting me with her sister.
I screamed and wailed as I tried to fight back and get her off me but both of them hitting me was too much.

Nonso finally pushed her off me and slapped Rebecca.
Becca held on to her cheek and stared at Nonso, surprised.

"You slapped me Nonso because of this thing!"Becca yelled as she pointed at me.
Me really a thing?
Nonso helped me to my feet and faced Becca with a stern look on his face.
"Rebecca I swear to God if you don't leave here right now I'll kill you!"Nonso thundered at Becca.

Becca let out a sly smile and clapped her hands together.
"Amarachi we shall see"she said to me with a baleful look on her face as she turned to leave, Adaora following her behind.

I couldn't believe what just happened.
I stood on the spot, transfixed with tears forming in my eyes as I watched Becca leave.
"What just happened?I...I..thought we've settled?"I asked Nonso with tears in my eyes.

Nonso kept quiet and averted his gaze from mine.
"Nonso tell me! This is the second time Becca fought me because I and you are together. What is going on!?'I yelled.
I was fed up.
I just wanted to know the truth.

"She is doing that because I love you Amara"