Chapter 76

AMARACHI

I yawned lazily and dragged my feets outside the house, holding a broom in my hand. I had woken up later than usual and I just wanted to do my house chores and possibly go to the shop.
The shop.
It's been long I went there.
I remembered how Jordan saved me when aunty Lydia almost beat me to death.
A weak smile appeared on my lips as I recalled the event that brought us together.
A tear drop slipped out of my eyes.

"Stop crying Amarachi. You made the decision so stop crying"I admonished myself.

I walked outside but was surprised to see that the compound was swept.
My brows pulled together in surprise and shock.
Who could have swept it?

I heard some one singing in the backyard. I quickly scurried there.
I met Ogechi washing clothes and I spotted a pot on the stove.

Immediately she saw me, she gave me a wild smile. "Amarachi goodmorning how are you?"

I blinked my eyes severally. "I am fine. Ogechi what are you doing? Who is making you do these?"I asked.

Ogechi's eyes narrowed then she giggled.
"Nobody. I know you aren't feeling too fine and you complained of headache yesterday so I decided to do all these. Go back and rest biko"

I stared intently at Ogechi. Ogechi is literally doing all my house chores.
Is this a dream?
"Amara please go inside and rest o. Go now. Am boiling rice. When it's ready I'll give you. Just go and rest"She cajoled.

I stood fixed on the spot and kept on staring at her.
She stopped washing and came to me.
"Amarachi go and rest now. Do you want to kill yourself with work? Amarachi you are my sister and I'm doing this because this is what sisters do. I just want you to go inside and rest. Inu go(have you heard?)"

I nodded my head slowly and turned to go inside. I can't believe Ogechi would actually vouch to do my house chores.
Not even one but all of them.
I entered inside and sat on the chair.
What am I do to now?
Maybe I should just freshen up and go to shop.

Aunty Lydia suddenly walked in on me from the inner rooms.
She was fully dressed up.
It seemed too early to go to the shop.
Where was she going to?
"Aunty good morning"I greeted with a soft smile.

"Amara how are you? How is your headache?"

I nodded my head at her. "It's better aunty. Aunty are you heading to the shop?"

"Yes o. I want to first go and collect some fabrics before going to the shop"she explained.
I smiled at her. "Can i follow you?"

Aunty Lydia gasped and shook her head at me. "Amarachi you won't work again in this house o. I need you to eat, sleep and be fat because you will be going to lagos soon. Don't come to the shop. You've sewed enough. I have to go now ok. Please just stay in the house and take care of the house"

Wow.
What is going on?
They are actually treating me like...like family.
What I've always wanted.
I watched aunty Lydia go out.
If they had treated me like this from the beginning then perhaps just perhaps, I wouldn't have been traumatized that I didn't have a father.

* * * * * * * * *

"Who is in here? Hello?"was the voice I heard from outside which woke me up from my slumber.
I was the only one at home. Everybody had gone out and uncle Francis travelled so who could that be?

I came to the parlour to open the door and was shocked on seeing Jordan.
"You?"I asked in awe.
What is he doing here?

"Yes me. Can i come in?"
I nodded my head at him. He stepped inside and I locked the door back.
What is he doing here for christsakes?