Chapter 58

Francis turned on his bed and yawned lazily as he slept soundly. He could hear far distant echoes of someone murmuring which disturbed his slumber. His eyes fluttered open and his gaze landed on Lydia who was deeply lost in her thoughts. He was surprised to see her still awake and he noticed she looked so agitated as she was murmuring some incoherent words whilst shaking her head rigorously.

It didn't seem like she noticed he was awake.
"You are still awake?"Francis asked puzzled which cut through Lydia's soliloquy.

"Yes I'm awake!"Lydia snapped back which startled Francis.
"I'm awake. While you are busy snoring and sleeping, I am here thinking of our daughter"

Francis rolled his eyes and lazily sat up straight, facing Lydia.
"What did Ogechi do this time?is she pregnant?"

Lydia shot him a baleful glare,"Francis are you alright?"

"Well you said you were thinking of her"He replied bluntly.

"The question shouldn't be about what Ogechi has done rather it should be what Amarachi is doing to Ogechi"
Francis massaged his temples and slumped his shoulders.
"What has Amarachi done again?"he asked with a sigh.

"That girl, she..she is wicked. Yes very wicked. She is taking everything from Ogechi. Our Ogechi"Lydia lamented laying emphasis on the 'Our'

Francis raised a brow and shook his head at Lydia,"I don't understand"

"How will you understand?"Lydia scornfully replied which made Francis cross.
"Tell me what you want to tell me woman or I sleep back biko(please)!"

"The chance i secured for Ogechi to travel abroad,Amarachi has snatched it away from her. Mrs Justice trust and affection has all gone to Amara. Imagine Ada said my daughter will go to Lagos. And do what in Lagos precisely?"Lydia scoffed

Francis let out a deep chuckle and shook his head once more,"You should be happy she's sending Ogechi to lagos. Lagos is the eye of West Africa. It's a very big city, one of the major cities in the world. Ogechi can secure bigger opportunities there"

Lydia turned to face francis, glaring at him, dagger in her eyes. If looks could kill, Francis would have been dead by her numerous glares.

"Francis what is wrong with you? This is your daughter we are talking about. Amarachi isn't even our blood.
She is a total bastard but she is snatching everything away from Ogechi. Ogechi was the one meant to go abroad but Amarachi took it away. Is it fair! That girl knew Jordan all along and she hid it from us!"Lydia huffed and yelled.

Francis reluctantly sighed and gazed intently at her.
"What do you suggest we do to give the spot back to Ogechi?"

Lydia's look of terror was suddenly replaced by a devilish grin. She smirked at her husband.
"I have a plan that will eliminate that girl"

Francis flinched and gasped at Lydia's comment.
"What?"she replied rudely at Francis whose jaws were dropped and lips parted.

"Eliminate her? Don't you think it is too far?"

"It's not too far o. I will do anything and everything to secure my daughter's right"

"Just be careful"Francis mumbled as he retired back to his slumber leaving an agitated Lydia to her thoughts.

* * * * * * * * * *

AMARACHI

My sleep was interrupted by a buzzing from my phone--the phone Kaima got for me.
My eyes flew open and I yawned lazily. I was in Nne's room.
Nobody knew about the phone. I did wonder how aunty Lydia and Ogechi would react if they found out.
Certainly not good.
I still remembered the harsh words aunty Lydia spat at me yesterday.
She was such a bittered human.
Nne usually told me the reason she hated me is because she had animosity with my late mother.
But why?
What did my mother do to her that made her hate my mother so much and pass it to me?