Chapter 10

AMARACHI

  After my friends left, I went back to my work. It really wasn't easy. Time moved really slow and it frustrated me.
I was cutting, sewing and mending customers cloth. More and more customers kept on trooping inside aunty Lydia's shop, bringing materials for sewing.
I took measurements endlessly. I liked the fact that aunty Lydia's business was booming but the effect was taking a toll on me seriously. I was working round the clock here and I didn't even get a 'thank you' from aunty Lydia.

I kept on working until aunty Lydia came in during noon.
She was on a yellow lace top and she tied a wrapper matching the lace coupled with her handbag and her heavy jewellery.

I immediately stood up and cleaned her particular seat for her even though I had cleaned it before.

"Aunty good afternoon" I greeted her with a courtesy bow.
She eyed me and hissed, going over to her seat.
I sighed and went back to my work.

Aunty Lydia and I worked in silence, which I was grateful for.
Apart from the occasional errands I had to attend for her, we worked in absolute silence.
I enjoyed it that way and made sure to obey her whenever she called me.

"Madam the madam"was the familiar voice I heard coming from the doorway.
I looked up to see Mrs Johnson. She was here for her dress.
I quickly stood up to offer her a chair.

"Amara my dear thank you"she said whilst patting my shoulder.

"My favourite person, my personal person"aunty Lydia praised her.

"After spoiling my dress Lydia"Mrs Johnson said teasingly.

"It's not my fault. We all make mistakes. After all your dress is fixed now. Amara bring it"
I went over to my seat and took a polythene bag from underneath the sowing machine.

I handed the polythene bag to Mrs Johnson. She brought out her cloth from the bag and her jaws dropped.

  She was grinning from ear to ear like a little child. She turned over the cloth and scrutinized it in and out. She kept on admiring the cloth with her mouth agape.

  "Go and test the cloth now"Aunty Lydia urged her.
She nodded her head and walked towards the dressing room with the dress. I was so pleased on seeing the way she admired the dress. If she hadn't reacted this way, aunty Lydia would have dealt with me severely.

"And why are you smiling?"aunty Lydia asked interrupting my thoughts.
I looked at her and suddenly lost my voice.

"I..I...was..I.."I stuttered as I tried to figure out what to say.

"Come on go and sit down osisor (fast fast). See her nose."

I quickly went over to my seat and continued my work.
"Oh God please let Mrs Johnson like the dress"

Mrs Johnson came out immediately I made that silent prayer.
She strutted and stood in front of the mirror admiring her dress.
A smile made its way to my lips as I gazed at Mrs Johnson who was admiring her outfit.
I was really proud of myself at this point. The dress really brought out her curves.

  "Omaka(it's too beautiful)!"aunty Lydia complimented her.

"I know. Amara you are so talented. God bless you my daughter. See how beautiful I look on this dress. This sewing talent runs in your family o! Your mother really passed it to you"

"Thank you ma!"I said ecstatically. I was beaming with joy. She praised my late mother which doubled my happiness.

I turned over to look at aunty Lydia, hoping to see her smiling but she suddenly wore a frown on her face and she glared at me. I froze in place and smile immediately disappeared.