Chapter 25

AMARACHI

     It was 6pm. Some shops were closing  from the days work as i walked back home to go make dinner. My mind was in turmoil. I couldn't stop thinking.
What if they actually chase me out of the house?
I was so engrossed in my thoughts that my heart started thumping so fast. I stopped for a moment and rested under a nearby tree.
I had to calm myself down.
Suddenly i thought of Nonso and Rebecca. Memories of how Becca humilated me came flooding into my mind.
"Who would ever think Becca that i knew from little will turn against me like this?"
So now she practically hates me for what i didn't even do?
It felt like i was cursed. Good things weren't destined to stay with me for long.
  I shook my head in anguish and a deep sigh espaced my lips. I kept on walking but then i spotted Becca coming towards me.
I wore a smile on my face,thinking she will be back to her normal self or atleast i could talk to her.
When we got close to each other, she totally ignored me.
I was transfixed for a moment as i stood there watching her walk away.
"Becca"i called out but i got no reply from her just her walking away.
I was dazed.
She really doesnt like me again.
Tears were forming in my eyes. She was my bestfriend. If only Becca knew how much her actions hurt me.
I cleaned my eyes and kept on walking.

*******************
           I and Aunty lydia were the only ones home. Aunty Lydia was in her room. I was grateful for the peace i was getting. Who knew how long it will last?
I laid on Nne's bed, the shining moon illuminating her dark room.
I checked my wrist watch. It was just after eight.
"Onye noh ney ba?(who is here?)" Was the familiar voice i heard calling out from outside.
I rushed outside immediately. It was Nne. Finally my grandmother was back.
I hugged her tightly as Ogechi held to some of the wrappers Nne had to use in the hospital. Uncle Francis went to lock the gate.
"Amara my child. How are you?"Nne asked as we walked inside.
Ogechi rolled her eyes at us and headed into the inner rooms to go meet her mother.
I nodded my head at her,"I'm fine".
We both sat on the sofa with uncle Francis joining us.
I hugged her once more again. I couldn't help the tears that trickled down my face. Without her in this house i went through hell. I loved her so much. She was my mother.

   Nne noticed i had become very emotional.
"Amara i didn't die o"she said teasingly. I let out a chuckle and snuggled close to her.
"Nne let me go serve dinner"i said standing up.

********************
       Everyone was gathered at the dining table as we all ate together. I felt happy that Nne was back.
It felt like a missing void had been filled up. I could find solace in her whenever i felt down.
"Amara so tell me what happened when i was gone?"Nne asked directly to me. I was about talking when aunty lydia chirped in.
"Nothing happened now. Can't you see your darling daughter is still alive? Did we kill her?"Aunty Lydia lied.
         Nne eyed aunty lydia and faced me.
"I wasn't talking to you lydia. Amara tell me what happened in my absence"
I swallowed the semo in my mouth and shook my head at Nne,"Nothing happened Nne"
I lied to her. I didn't want her to worry about me. So many things did happen but Nne just got back from the hospital. I didn't want her to develop hypertension because of me.
     Nne scrutinized everyone of us and kept on eating. I could hear aunty Lydia cursing under her breath.
Dinner went on normally. Nne and Uncle Francis talked randomly and aunty Lydia chirped in on some occasions. When everyone had finished eating, i carried all the plates away and retired to I and Nne's room. Today was very hectic i just wanted to sleep and forget it all.

***************
"Francis I've been thinking"Nne began.
"Get a jamb form for Amara. Let her take jamb"
Lydia's eyes widened upon hearing that statement. Amarachi had gone to bed. It was just only Nne, Francis, lydia and ogechi in the sitting room.

  "What does that block head know that she wants to write?"Ogechi remarked rudely.
Nne shot her a wicked glare,"you, what do you know apart from following men? You took jamb four times and you couldn't pass".

Ogechi murmured and stood up from the sofa, entering into the inner rooms.

"But why should she take jamb nne?"Francis asked.

"Francis this girl is brilliant. You don't want to further her university education. Just within a short period of time look at how good she is in tailoring. Imagine if you enroll her for jamb classes"Nne replied.

Lydia rolled her eyes,feeling uncomfortable with the way Nne lashed at Ogechi and praised Amara.
"She can't do any jamb o. I need her at my shop"Lydia objected.

"Wicked woman"Nne said facing  lydia.
"I'm not wicked mama. She can't abeg"lydia retorted standing up and heading into the room.

Francis cleared his throat and faced Nne"but Lydia is right now. Amara  is needed at her shop".

"How wicked can you be Francis? She is your late brothers child"Nne wailed.
Immediately Francis stood up in anger.
"What is your problem mama? Since i was little,you had always favoured Emeka above me. Even in death you still favour him. He is your perfect child and am not. You know i wanted chinenye first but you allowed emeka marry her!"

Nne was dumbstruck when she heard Francis utterances. She couldn't believe this was what Francis thought of her.
"It's not that. Heaven knows i love both of you equally. I just want you to train Amara in the university. She is your only brother's child"Nne pleaded.

"She isn't!"Francis yelled.
Nne motioned to Francis to keep his voice down.
"Don't tell me to keep quiet mama. She isn't and you know. Chinenye was raped and got pregnant. Amara isn't Emeka's child. Amara is the daughter of that rapist!"