Chapter 46

The smirk on Lydia's face immediately disappeared replaced by a menacing glare.
"Old woman you better keep your mouth shut or else"Lydia threatened as she raised a finger at Nne.

Nne wasn't petrified by her threat. She knew Lydia was dangerous but she had made up her mind. She couldn't take Amara's suffering any longer.

"Or else what? I can't keep this within me any longer. I told chinenye about it but chinenye being a woman with a heart of gold refused to report you to her husband and Francis. All she wanted was peace to reign but i can see all you want is to inflict pains on Amara.
Lydia I'll definitely expose this secret today"

"Lydia I know that you also lied to Ada about Amarachi and told her Ogechi is the better seamstress. All your lies are becoming too much. I'll expose them one by one"

Lydia was getting annoyed and agitated by Nne's words.
She stepped forward and stared at Nne with a piercing evil grin plastered on her face.
"Look let me tell you old woman, you can't and will not destroy my years of labour. Ogechi will always be on top and see that your useless Amara, she will always be beneath Ogechi"

"We shall see. Just wait and watch what I do today"Nne retorted back as she turned to leave.
But Lydia suddenly blocked her path like a fiery comet.
"Old woman your time is up"
Before Nne could reply to her comment, Lydia suddenly moved so quickly towards her, her hands locking Nne's head in a vice-like grip.
Lydia immediately held on to her throat in an attempt to choke her.

     Nne's vision immediately started to blur as the pressure increased, the blood pounding in her head as she clenched her jaw in pain.
She tried screaming but Lydia covered her mouth so tightly that she could only release muffled screams.
Nne let go of her walking stick and tried using both hands to free herself all to no avail.
She felt herself fading as Lydia  choked her harder, her weak arms were gripping uselessly at Lydia's wrist.

"You will die just like chinenye"Lydia whispered as she increased her pressure on Nne's throat.

Suddenly Nne stopped gripping at Lydia arms and her hands dropped limp.
Lydia slowly released her grip on Nne and pushed her to the chair.

Nne was dead.

"Old frail woman. You could have just kept quiet but since you are so eager to tell everyone about this secret then I'll make sure you go meet your darling chinenye"

Lydia then looked around, knowing someone could enter back at any moment.
She did what she knew how to do best---put up a charade.

Lydia immediately let out a loud shriek that filled the entire atmosphere.
"Amara come and see o!!!"Lydia cried out loud with crocodile tears running down her cheeks.
She fell on Nne's lifeless body and kept on crying and wailing so loudly.

  Amara who was at the backyard heard the commotion and rushed inside. She thought Nne and Lydia had gotten into a fight again.

  She stepped inside and screamed so loudly on seeing Nne lying down lifeless and Lydia crying beneath her.
She quickly went over to Nne and shook her vigorously.
"Nne wake up please. Aunty..aunty..aunty what happened please?"Amarachi asked as she found it difficult to let out words from her mouth.

"I don't know o. We had our little arguments you know now. As I turned to go Nne suddenly screamed and held onto her chest. Amara o!!"Lydia lied as she kept on crying.

It felt like the world was coming to an end for Amara. She was in disarray and didn't know what to do.
Amara immediately ran outside in a bid to get a taxi that will convey Nne to the hospital.

  Amara took to her heels with tears in her eyes as she ran outside the gate, heading to the busstop.
She was so desperate to get a taxi that she didn't notice the incoming car behind her that almost hit her.

"Amara!! Are you ok?"Nonso asked immediately as he stepped out of his car.
He thanked his stars he didn't hit Amara but was surprised to see Amara looking so pale and crying frantically.

"Nonso...my Nne please help me!"Amara cried out as she dragged Nonso towards their gate and into the house.

"Let's carry her o! Nonso please help us"Lydia lamented as she continued with her charade.
Nne was rushed to the hospital but Lydia knew it was fruitless because Nne had already given up.
She felt so happy that finally Nne had died. She just had to keep up with her charade so as to evade suspicion.
   She watched as Amara cried uncontrollably whilst Nonso tried comforting her.
She smiled within herself.
Her secret was safe and Ogechi's chance of going to America was still in place.

It didn't take long for the doctor to come out of the ward with a sad look on his face.
Amara was the first to rush to him, asking about Nne.
He shook his head at Amara and glanced at Nonso, possibly signalling at Nonso to comfort her.

  "I'm sorry she was already dead before you brought her in"He replied  with a sad look on his face for poor Amara.

Amara couldn't believe it. She stuttered backwards as she tried to process what the doctor said.
"It's not true"Amarachi said in a whisper as she kept on moving backwards, her legs gradually failing her.

Nonso rushed to her side knowing she would fall at any moment.
"Amara you will be fine I promise"Nonso pleaded as he held on to Amara whose vision was already fading out.

Amara immediately collapsed onto his arms as the shock was too much for her to bear.