Chapter 14

AMARACHI

"Amara!!! Thief!!!where are you? Do you want to starve me!"
That was aunty Lydia calling me. I heaved a sigh and hurriedly carried the tray containing a plate of egusi(melon soup) and a plate of pounded yam to the dining table where aunty Lydia , Ogechi and Uncle Francis were seated.
I dropped the tray in front of Uncle Francis and quickly entered inside to bring aunty Lydia's and Ogechi's own.

I could hear hissing as I walked towards the kitchen.
What did I ever do to aunty Lydia and Ogechi?

I returned with their own plates and set it in front of them. I caught a glimpse of aunty Lydia giving me a baleful look.
"It's ok abeg(please)Get out"Ogechi spat at me.

I took a cursory stare at aunty Lydia and Uncle Francis to check their facial expressions before leaving.
I turned to leave but aunty Lydia called me back immediately.

"Yes aunty?"

"Don't ever call me your aunty thief"she replied harshly.
She then proceeded to take a handful of the pounded yam I made and threw it at me.

I screamed in fear.
"Aunty!" I cried out.
"What did I do now?"I asked in tears.
I made that dinner even after the beating I received in work and she was just wasting it.

"Oh you are asking me abi! No you are asking me!"Aunty Lydia shouted as she stood up from her seat.
Before I could reply she took a plate of egusi and poured it at me.

I screamed in pain as the hot soup came in contact with my skin. That was a soup I painstakingly made.
"Lydia what is this?Will you stop wasting food?"Uncle Francis finally spoke up.

I stood there with the stains of the soup on my dress, crying bitterly.
"This girl disgraced me today"Aunty Lydia replied to Uncle Francis.

"She stole from me!"
A wave of panic coursed through me once aunty Lydia made that statement.
My uncle would pounce on me now.
Yes he would.
As i predicted, I saw the look on uncle Francis face change to a menacing one as he slowly stood up to face me.

"How dare you steal from my wife?!"Uncle Francis lashed out at me.

"Leave her o. One man came to rescue her and i don't want my image to be tarnished if amara goes out to work and he sees her with a swollen face"

Uncle Francis cursed under his breath as he sat down and i immediately scurried out of their presence.
I went to my grandma's room. Nne was fast asleep and i didn't want to bother her so i just lay on the cold ground,crying my eyes out.

**********

"Jordan"
No response.

"Jordan"the feminine voice called again. He was lost in thought.

"Jordan Chikaima Justice"the voice called again as she shook him.

That jolted him out of his thoughts as he he blinked severely and raised his face to his mum's.

"I've been calling you now"She said with a worried expression on her face.

"Are you fine?"She added caressing his soft hair.

Jordan sighed deeply and smiled at his mum.
"I'm fine mum. I was just lost in thought"

"What's bothering you son?"Mrs Justice said as she took a glass of water

"How cruel can people be? You know i just witnessed a young girl who was almost bitten to death by her boss when i went for a walk"

Mrs justice almost choked on hearing those words and dropped her glass of water to face her son.

"Seriously?"

Jordan nodded his head"yes mum. The crime was that she stole her money but from the way the girl was crying and begging for the woman to listen to her , I knew she didnt.
She actually told the woman the name of the girl who came inside to take the money but her boss wouldn't just listen to her"

Mrs Justice shook her head and sighed deeply"this is sad"

"Yes mum. I just hope she doesn't touch the girl again"

"Mum i want to go rest upstairs. My flight was stress filled"Jordan said as he stood up from the chair in the parlour.

Mrs Justice nodded her head and kissed her son goodnight as she watched him go upstairs.

"I wonder who that girl is"

*************
I'm so sorry i havent been updating my story😫
My phone spoilt and i had so many exams but I'm back now😊😊😊
The story shall commence in full swing❤❤❤❤❤❤❤