Chapter 33

AMARACHI

     I watched as Nne and aunty Lydia were at loggerheads with each other.
God!
Why was my life like this?
Was i the cause of all these problems and misunderstandings?

"I am not insulting her. I am just telling the girl the truth. Can't Ogechi cook the food? Why always amara?"Nne lashed at aunty Lydia who in turn glared at her.

"Nne i don't like how you are always supporting Amara o. I went out. If not,what is pounded yam that I can't prepare?"Ogechi scoffed.

Nne cursed her in our igbo dialect and hissed at her.
"Come on shut up. If you had sense I would have supported you too. The only thing you are good at is going out and having male friends here and there"Nne said to Ogechi.

  "Nne is enough!"aunty Lydia yelled.
I was so helpless. I didn't know how to reduce the rising tensions between Nne and Lydia. I just stood there transfixed on the spot.

"Amara is like my daughter. I am reprimanding her for the food she cooked. Is it bad? The same way i reprimand Ogechi is the way i reprimand her"Aunty Lydia said.
It was a lie.
Aunty Lydia never treated Ogechi the way she treated me. I was the poor orphan and Ogechi was the favoured one.

"Metchi onu(shut your mouth). How many times have you beaten Ogechi the way you beat Amara!?"Nne yelled at Lydia.
I pleaded with my eyes for Nne to stop defending me because it was only aggravating aunty Lydia's anger towards me.
"Amara come let's go eat and leave these wicked people"Nne said to me.
Aunty Lydia stared at me wondering what I would do.
I knew better than to go with Nne.

  I shook my head at Nne,"No Nne. I made the mistake of not pounding  the yam well. Let aunty punish me now. It will be better"

Nne stared at me dumbstruck.
"Which mistake? Come and eat. Which useless mistake? You didn't do anything"

I was about objecting when aunty Lydia interrupted me.
"Get out immediately Amara!"She yelled at me.
I immediately scurried away from her and went inside with Nne.

***************

  "That old woman. She is old but she won't stay in one place"Lydia said in a whisper once Nne and Amara had gone inside.

"Don't mind her. She doesn't have strength but you will always see her everywhere supporting Amara"ogechi added, frowning her face.

Lydia chuckled and faced her daughter,"forget them for now. I'll deal with Nne and Amara. Our main focus is Mrs Justice request on seeing Amara's work".

"Mama we have to come up with something. Me i must go to America o"ogechi whined as she scrunched her face.

Lydia smiled at her and nodded her head,"You will. Amarachi won't take it away from you. Leave it to me"she assured Ogechi.

**********************

  Lydia sat alone in the parlour, going through her facebook timeline as she waited for Francis to come back home from work.
It was 9pm.
There was a knock on the door. Lydia knew fully well who it was. She opened the door for her husband and embraced him.
"Francis why did you come so late?"

Francis exhaled deeply and massaged his temples.
"Work stress my dear. Please I want to eat. Just set my food while I go bathe"he replied before entering inside to take a shower.

Minutes later, Francis and Lydia were sitting in the dinning room as Francis took the last morsel of pounded yam dipped in oha soup.
Lydia passed him the washing hand bowl.

"This food is amazing. I'm sure it must be the handiwork of Amara. That girl is talented"Francis said as he washed his hand.

Lydia glared at him and let out a hiss.
"This man! You always support Amara. Can't i make this type of food again?"

Francis chuckled at Lydia and furrowed his brows at her.
"Lydia biko(please). Ehen to be honest I've been craving for fried rice o"

"Bring the money now! See his mouth!"Lydia replied rudely.

Francis face wore a frown at Lydia.
"Lydia what is the meaning of that?"

"Have you ever given me enough money for food? Yet you are craving for fried rice. Bring the money if you can"

Francis hissed at Lydia,"is like this your old age is affecting your head"

"Amara!" Francis called out.
After some seconds, Amara came out from the inner rooms and greeted Francis.
One could see that she was drowsy.

"He is calling you and you are busy dragging your feet right?"Lydia queried harshly.
Amara shook her head and stretched her hand to collect the empty plates when aunty Lydia suddenly took the washing hand bowl and poured the water on her.

  "Aunty!"Amara cried out as she scrutinized her cloth and body which was covered in tiny particles of food.

"Let me warn you Amarachi, never in your life disrespect me!"

Francis stared at Lydia in disbelief,"what is all this Lydia?"

Lydia ignored his question and faced Amara,"That question he asked was for you Amara. Tell him what you did right now!"Lydia ordered.
Amara stood dazed and glued to the spot. What did she do?

  "Oh you can't talk right? Francis, Amara and Nne ganged up against me today o. See the way the beat me"Lydia lied.

Amara gasped in shock.
She never did that. Aunty Lydia was punishing her for the way Nne was defending her.
"Oh Amarachi so you and Nne beat up my wife?"Francis asked as he stood up slowly.

Amara shook her head and clasped her hands together,"uncle no no. It wasn't like that"

"Amarachi when your parents died and abandoned you I took you in. I raised you. I was a mother to you and see how you repayed me o!"Lydia wailed.

Amara was already in tears and she knelt down pleading with her uncle as he started unbockling his belt from his trouser.
"Uncle no no. I'm sorry please. I'm sorry aunty"Amara pleaded in tears.

Immediately Francis landed the belt on her skin.
Amarachi screamed in anguish and kept on pleading as more and more lashes were landing on her body.