Chapter 37

"Where is that stupid girl?"Ogechi muttered out loud as she stood outside the door of the house, waiting anxiously for Amara. She came back with a growling stomach and expected Amara to be done cooking but was shocked to find Amara not in the house and the melon seeds left unattended.

"Amarachi I swear I'll deal with you"Ogechi said, anger laced in her tone.
The gate opened and Lydia walked inside.
"My princess why are you standing there?"

"Mama that Amarachi is stupid oh! Can you imagine that I came home and saw that Amarachi isn't around and no food is cooking"Ogechi wailed.

"Are you serious?"Lydia asked to which Ogechi nodded her head. She bit her bottom lip and snapped her fingers together.
"Let's wait for the witch to come home"Lydia said with a smirk.

It didn't take long before Amara entered into the house. Immediately she spotted Ogechi and Lydia standing outside, anger written all over their faces, Amara shuddered.
She swallowed the bile forming in her throat and slowly walked forward.

"No come forward your highness"Lydia said sarcastically as she glared at Amara.

"Welcome o our queen"Ogechi added,eying Amara.

"Aunty...good..good...evening aunty"Amara managed to speak out.
She felt so scared.
She was avoiding this that was why she rushed home after escorting Nonso and Becca.

"Come forward now"Lydia said with a pretence smile.
Amarachi slowly walked towards her. When she was in close range with Lydia, Lydia immediately grabbed her ears and twisted them painfully which made Amara scream out.

"Next time try this nonsense. Don't stay in your house be jumping from place to place idiot. Come on get out now!"Lydia yelled to Amara.
Amara immediately scurried away from their presence, rubbing both her ears to ease the pain.

********************
AMARACHI

I picked up a broom from the kitchen and headed to the parlour to sweep it. I adjusted my skirt and bent down to start my sweeping when Nne walked inside.
"Nne good morning"i greeted once i saw her.
"Good morning my daughter how are you?"Nne asked with a smile.

I was about replying when aunty Lydia walked in on our conversation.
Nne hissed immediately she saw aunty Lydia and aunty Lydia ignored her presence.
I really don't understand the conflict between aunty Lydia and Nne.
"Aunty Lydia good morning"i greeted but she hissed at my greeting.

"Amarachi I want you to reduce the days you come to the shop"aunty Lydia ordered.

I blinked in surprise and immediately dropped my broom.
What?
This was good news but why?
I glanced at Nne who was as shocked as I was.

"Look this one Mrs Justice is beginning to drop by our shop regularly, if she sees you continuously, things won't go well for my daughter so it's better you reduce the days you come to the shop"

Nne let out a laugh and eyed Lydia,"So because you don't want Mrs Justice to praise Amara's sewing talent you are now telling Amara to stay home right? Lydia e bu onye ojoh( you are a bad person)" Nne spat at aunty Lydia.

Aunty Lydia shrugged her shoulders,"I don't care what you think of me at all but i won't sit and watch my daughter getting disgraced"aunty Lydia retorted back.

This was a good opportunity for me.
Now i wouldn't have to over work myself.
"But Amarachi you will be sewing clothes home. I know how lazy you are"
Nne was about to speak up in my defence but i immediately spoke up.
"Its fine aunty"i replied.

I glanced at Nne who had a sad look for me on her face.
Suddenly there was a knock on the door.
"Who is here o?!"The voice called out as the knocking persisted.

I walked outside to see who it was and was surprised to see aunty Monica.

"Goodmorning aunty Monica"i greeted with a smile.

"Goodmorning Amara. I am just coming from your shop and I didn't see anyone. I'm here for the blouse"

I nodded my head and was about stepping inside to bring it out when Lydia joined us outside.

"Madam Monica to what do I owe this visit?"Aunty Lydia asked.

Monica shook her head at Lydia,"I'm angry with you o. That blouse you sewed for me, the neck was rubbish. But thank God amara agreed to fix it for me"

I immediately headed inside to bring the blouse. Within a few seconds I came out with a polythene bag containing her blouse. I handed it to her.
She brought it out and scrutinised it, a smile plastered on her face as she did.

"Nice one! Amara you are so talented. Lydia this girl will pass you very soon"Monica said teasingly as she turned to go.
I smiled as I watched her go.
I was about entering back inside when aunty Lydia dragged me out.

"So you are now stealing my customers right?"

Why was aunty Lydia always misunderstanding my actions?
"No aunty. She brought the blouse for fixing and I did it with a clean mind. I'm not stealing your customers"

Aunty Lydia immediately slapped me. The impact almost made me fall back.
"So Amarachi you are talking back at me! You are now growing wings right?"Lydia roared at me.
She took of her slippers and threw it at me.
I dodged the slippers and pleaded with aunty Lydia to see it from my point.
I meant no harm.
But she wouldn't listen. She was so overwhelmed with anger.
She picked a stone and threw it at me.

Unfortunately it hit my knee which made me cry out in pain.
Aunty Lydia was really fuming with anger.
"Aunty please I'm not stealing your customers" I pleaded in tears.

"Ungrateful bastard! Useless orphan! You are so useless! Amarachi I wish you died with your parents!"aunty Lydia cursed me.
The pandemonium made Nne come outside, clinging to her walking stick.

"Chineke!(God) leave Amara alone Lydia!"Nne shouted as she saw what Lydia was doing to me.
Lydia grabbed a stick close to her and came forward, plunging at me.

I immediately ran outside the gate when I saw her coming towards me with a stick,panting heavily.
I had a feeling aunty Lydia would literally kill me today.

"Amarachi! Don't come back o! Don't ever in your life come back here o! If not I promise you I'll kill you! Ungrateful bastard!"