Chapter 31

Nonso stood waiting anxiously by the door leading to Becca's ward. His heart was racing so fast as thoughts of what could happen to Becca filled his mind.
He still couldn't fathom why she drank hypo. Adaora never told him the reason.
"Becca why will you do such to yourself? Why are you being so selfish and unreasonable!?"
The more he thought about Becca's behaviour, the more enraged he became.
He clenched his fist in anger and hissed.
       Nonso took a glance at Adaora who was crying bitterly as his mother tried consoling her.
"Adaora stop crying now. She will be fine"Mrs blessing said trying to reassure Adaora but she just kept on weeping uncontrollably.
"Mama you won't understand. Rebecca means the world to me. If anything happens to her I'll kill myself!"Adaora lamented as she buried her face in her hands.

   "You won't do such"Nonso spoke up as he went over to her. He sat by her and patted her shoulder.
"What is wrong with Rebecca!?"
A deep sigh escaped his lips as he stared Becca's ward.
It was already an hour and the doctor hadn't said anything concerning her condition. Nonso was getting very impatient and fed up with everything. He felt so suffocated.
"But why did she drink hypo!? What is wrong with that your sister!? Isn't she sensible!?"Nonso shouted out loud.

"Chinonso can't you see Adaora is weeping? Don't discuss that now"His mother reprimanded him with a terrible glare.

"Mama I have to know. Why is she doing this?"
As if on cue, the door of Becca's ward pushed open and the doctor, a middle aged man,came out.
His forehead was covered in perspiration as he brought out his handkerchief to wipe it off.

Immediately, they all rushed to meet the doctor, Adaora being the most agitated about the situation.
"Doctor please how is my sister please?"Adaora asked quickly with her tear stained cheek.

"The patient is fine. She was fortunate to be brought here on time. If she wasn't, the story would have been different"The doctor replied with a calm demeanour.

They all breathed a sigh of relief immediately the doctor completed his statement.
"Can we see her?"Nonso asked.

"Yes but one after the other. The patient is recuperating. You all can't go in at the same time"the doctor advised.

"In that case let Adaora go in first"Mrs blessing suggested.
Adoara nodded her head immediately and rushed into the ward.

"Doctor thank you so much. Please lets go talk about the bills"Nonso said. He was visibly frustrated and Rebecca wasn't making things easier for him.

Immediately Adaora saw her sister lying on the hospital bed she broke into tears and ran to embrace her sister.
"Sister why would you do this now?"She asked in tears.
A smile found its way unto Becca's lips as she sat up to face Adaora.
"Sister why are you smiling like that now? How could you attempt suicide?"

    Becca suddenly let out a laugh as she gazed at Adaora who had a confused expression written all over her face.
"Did you really think I'll try to kill myself?"Becca asked as she raised an eyebrow.

Adoara stared at Becca, dazed by her sister's stunt.
"I don't understand sister becca"

"I never drank hypo"Becca confessed with a sly smile on her lips.
Adoara gasped in shock. It was all an act.
"But..but..I saw an empty hypo container next to you"Adaora stated with shock.

"Yes but i never drank hypo. I just took a liquid given to me by Chisom, the herb seller's daughter. She said anyone that takes it will have intense pain in the stomach but it won't lead to death"
Adoara couldn't believe her ears.
She knew her sister did all this for Nonso. Her sister would really go to any length to be with Nonso.