Chapter 87

Ogechi quietly walked into Francis' compound that evening. Unsure of whether he was home or not, she tiptoed into the compound, making sure not to cause an alarm by her arrival.
Staring at the environment, got her eyes stung with tears. Francis would be very angry to see her, that she knew clearly. He had even threw her belongings out of the house even before her biological father, Otito, came for her.

To worsen it all he had restricted Lydia from coming to see her. Ogechi wondered how her mother was coping, last time she saw her with Francis by the road, she looked so bruised up. Francis must be melting out his anger to her. Ogechi herself looked worse.
She had lost weight and looked unkempt in just a week. Her new family weren't doing justice in taking care of her. Otito's wife and two children always taunted her, calling her mother a prostitute and forcing her to do strenuous house chores

She was normally starved and when given food, it was in little quantity. She had become a maid in her father's house.
Mrs Justice had also cancelled Ogechi slot to America since her new family wouldn't let her travel.

It reminded her of the way she treated Amarachi. Ogechi could now fully relate to the pain Amarachi would feel those days when she and mother maltreated poor Amarachi.
Ogechi crumbled into tears as memories of how she had maltreated Amarachi in the past came flooding.
"Amarachi I'm sorry. Please wherever you are forgive me. I'm deeply sorry for everything I put you through. I'm sorry Amarachi. If I could go back in time, I'll treat you better. I'll be a better sister. I'm sorry"
Ogechi slumped on the pavement of the door, crying bitterly.
Lydia suddenly walked in on her from inside and gasped, wondering what Ogechi was doing crying on the pavement of her doorstep.
"My daughter what are you doing here?"Lydia asked immediately as she tried getting Ogechi to stand.

"Mama please tell Amarachi I'm sorry. I'm sorry for treating badly. Tell her to come back and I'll treat her well maybe God will forgive me and reverse my ill fate. I'll be a better person mama. Let Amarachi just forgive me"Ogechi said in between tears, crying onto Lydia's shoulder as she hugged her mother tightly.

Lydia couldn't help the drops of tears that rolled down her cheeks. She didn't like seeing her daughter suffer.
"Amarachi is dead my daughter. She can't come back"Lydia replied softly.

"No she isn't"Ogechi snapped back immediately as she pulled out of the embrace. "She can't die. She has a strong spirit. Let her come back to us so we can treat her better than we did. Let her come back mama. Mama how cruel life can be. Look at me. Look at your daughter"Ogechi began in tears as she spread her arms for her mum to scrutinise.

Lydia gave way to tears and wailed as she spotted different marks on her daughter's body.
"Look at me mama. When I was here, Francis never laid his hand on me but over there mama I am treated like a slave. They beat me, they starve me,they insult me mama!"

Ogechi screamed out in frustration.
"Look at me mama. They treat me exactly the way we treated Amarachi. And look at you, Francis has turned to a monster over night. I'm sure he beats you up over the slightest provocation. Where is Amarachi? Let her come so she can forgive us. Probably God will forgive us too and we can start over as a new family"

Lydia kept on crying as Ogechi was talking. Francis had changed over night. He now beats her and starves her sometimes too.
Ogechi hugged her mother tightly as they both gave way to tears,tears of guilt and regret.

Suddenly the gate opened which got them startled as Francis entered inside.
The moment he spotted Ogechi,her heart sank and she hid behind Lydia.

"What are you doing here!?"He thundered as he quickly ran to meet both of them.
Lydia tried speaking but Francis slapped her and pushed her out of the way,glaring at Ogechi.