Chapter 51

A wave of panic filled the atmosphere. Lydia couldn't believe what she just heard as she stared jaws dropped at the police officers.
Ogechi shook her head vehemently and grabbed hold of her mum's hand.
"No o. My mum is not going anywhere"

"What did i do that you should arrest A wave of panic filled the me?"Lydia agitatedly asked.
The female officer yanked Lydia's hand out of Ogechi's grip and handcuffed it.

  Immediately Lydia saw that her hands had been handcuffed, she let out wailing and cries.
"Officer no now"Lydia said to the female officer as she fought to restrain her tears.

"You have to remain silent because any thing you say shall be used against you in the court of law"the male officer commanded with a stern look on his face.

The gate then whirled open and Francis entered. Immediately he saw the scenery, he quickened his pace and ran to meet his wife and daughter who were on the verge of crying.

"Officers what is this? Lydia? Ogechi...why are you arresting my wife?"Francis stumbled upon words to speak.

Ogechi let out a cry.
"Papa they are taking mama away o"

"Francis I've been arrested o"Lydia cried out.

"Who issued this arrest?"Francis asked as he clenched and unclenched his fist.

"A certain Mr Nonso James"the male officer replied.
He then signalled to the female officer for them to begin going.

Immediately Ogechi heard that statement she screamed out.
"That stupid Nonso! He won't just face his family. Him and Amara have ganged up against my mother o!"

Lydia was crying as the police officers took her away, cursing Amara and Nonso within her.
"Ogechi don't worry I'm here. Everything will be fine"Francis said trying to comfort Ogechi.
She cried out and ran inside the room.

Francis was fuming in anger on the inside for Nonso and Amara.
He couldn't believe Nonso laid a complaint against his wife to the police and he was sure Amara was behind this.
"Amarachi you and your stupid friend have bitten more than you both can chew"

************
     "Ogechi"Francis called out as he sat outside, trying to process the event that took place earlier in the day.
The breeze blew eagerly as Francis groaned out in frustration.
He gazed at the night sky and suddenly memories of  Nne rushed into his head.
Ogechi stepped outside and tapped her father's shoulder, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Your mother is in jail as you know and Nonso and Amara are responsible"
Ogechi nodded her head to his statement.
"I went to Nonso's house this afternoon but i didn't see him or Amara. I only saw Blessing and she totally rained insults on me"

Ogechi let out a brief shout of shock.
"Why would she do that?"

Francis hissed loudly,"Isn't she supporting her stupid son and that stupid niece of mine"

Ogechi grumbled and immediately started wailing.
"So what should we do to release mama now?"Ogechi incoherently asked with folded arms.

"Let's both go there together tomorrow morning and beg them to withdraw the charges they made against your mother"

"What!?"Ogechi screamed out quickly. She shook her head vehemently and clasped her hands together.
"Papa I will never beg Amara nor her stupid lover. That girl is a servant. I'll never succumb and fall by her feet"

Francis stared at Ogechi with disbelief written all over his face.
Ogechi totally ignored his shocked expression and hissed.
"For the sake of your mother Ogechi!"

"Yes! I love mama but I'll never beg Amara. Even mama wouldn't want me to do that. Papa think of another plan because Ogechi will never beg that stupid useless orphan"ogechi stated rudely and stumped inside the house leaving a confused Francis sitting by himself.

"Amara. Oh Amara. This is how you choose to repay my family right? No wahala"

*****************
AMARACHI

    I stared at my blistered hands. The ointments given to me in the hospital were doing justice to treating my hands.
I couldn't believe how events turned out. It hadn't even been up to a month Nne passed away and aunty Lydia's wickedness to me had trippled.
Plunging my hands into a bowl of hot water for God-knows what was the height of it all.
I exhaled deeply.
I spent the night in Nonso's place and I really enjoyed the care I was getting here.
For the first time in how many nights I slept so soundly.

  I reached over for the broom and took it as I immediately started sweeping the compound. It was a ritual for me.
"Amara you are sweeping?"Nonso asked behind me.
I turned behind to meet the bright smiling face of Nonso who was staring at me with hands-at-akimbo.

"Ah Nonso goodmorning"i greeted smiling.
Nonso let out a chuckle and walked over to me. He collected the broom from my hand before i could even react.
I immediately tried to protest but he cut me off.
"Look at your hands Amara. They are still healing for christsakes. You don't need to do all these strenous work"
  I pouted my lips at Nonso. He was scolding me like I was a little child.
"Nonso it's just sweeping"i said feigning mild annoyance.

Nonso brushed my cheeks with his fingers and teasingly held my right cheek softly.
"No work for you Amara period. Go and rest"

I giggled and shook my head at him.
He raised his brows at me and immediately started tickling me till I gave in to his demand.

"You cheated"i whined as I went over  to the front of the door and folded my hands.
He stuck his tongue out to me and I did same.
I really enjoyed spending time with Nonso.
"By the way where is mama, Nonso?"

"Morning market o Amara. She wants to buy the best goods"Nonso replied whilst sweeping.
I was about replying when the gate was pushed open and Becca and Adaora entered inside.

Immediately Becca spotted me she dropped her bags and screamed my name.
I rolled my eyes at her and walked over to meet her with Nonso following behind as her scream made him drop the broom.

"Ooh Amara, you are now trying to take my position abi? Just this small time I travelled you are trying to take my position from me ehn Amara!?"

"And good morning to you Becca"i greeted with a plastic smile on my face.

I glanced at Nonso. His fists were already clenching. I gave him a soft smile to ease his tension.

"Oh you are giving my husband eye abi? Husband snatcher Amara!"

"Yes I am trying to snatch your husband away from you Rebecca!"I retorted back immediately.