Chapter 54

Ogechi gasped whilst using her hand to cover her mouth. She looked at her mum intently with her mouth agape.
It felt as if the air had been sucked away from Ogechi's lungs. She sat transfixed for a moment, staring at her mother.
"Mama why now?"Ogechi cried out.
Lydia's eyebrow drew to a worried look. She gave Ogechi an angry glare.
"What do you mean "why"?" Lydia asked, anger laced in her tone.

Ogechi crumbled in tears.
"You shouldn't have done that now. Nne...she was my grandmother too. She wasn't only Amarachi's grandmother. I still loved her. Besides Amarachi is my cousin. Nne loved her more than me and I accepted it. I wasn't bothered. Mama you shouldn't have done that now" Ogechi cried out in a loud wailing.

  Lydia quickly used her hands to cover Ogechi's mouth which made Ogechi released muffled screams as she tried to free herself from her mother's grip.
"Are you crazy!? Do you want everybody to know what I did? Why are you acting weak and feeble. I didn't give birth to a weak hearted female. You need to be willing to sacrifice anything to take what rightly belongs to you!" Lydia sternly admonished.

Ogechi avoided her piercing gaze and scrunched her face.
"Mama how can you say that!? Nne just loved Amara more than me. It isn't a crime. I never hated Nne for that. Yes i don't get along with Amara but i wouldn't want to kill her too"

"So you will sit and fold your arms while a stranger takes what belongs to you right?"Lydia snapped at Ogechi.

Ogechi turned to her mother, blinking her eyes severally as she tried to process what her mother said.
It didn't just make sense to her.
"Mama I don't understand? How is Amara a stranger?"

Lydia chuckled and let out a low breathy laugh.
"Yes Ogechi. She isn't your blood Infact she is not related to us in any way. Her mother was raped. Your late uncle isn't her father"Lydia bluntly stated to a confused Ogechi.

"So now you see why I dislike Amara so much. She is not even related to us in any way yet she is taking everything that belongs to you. I'll never sit and allow that. To crown it all up Nne supports a total stranger over her own child"Lydia added in fury.

Ogechi rapidly cleaned her tear stained face.
"Who is now her father?"

Lydia hissed midly and shook her head.
"I don't know Ogechi, nobody knows. Look your grandmother is a wicked woman. You are a pure blood yet she favours Amarachi that is a total stranger's child"Lydia spat at Ogechi knowing it would hurt her.

Ogechi started weeping and buried her face in her hands.
"Nwam(my child) raise your head up.
Don't cry for anybody. Your mother is here for you"

Ogechi slowly raised her head to meet Lydia's gaze. Her tears already stained her mascara.
"Mama how could Nne love Amara more when she knew Amara isn't even her blood?"Ogechi wailed.

"She didn't even love me quater of the way she loved Amara. Isn't this wickedness?"Ogechi added.

A smile crept to Lydia's face.
"Now you see reasons why I had to kill her. I'll do the same for Amara if the need arises. I can't watch that bastard rise above you. Never!"

Ogechi sobbed onto her mother's shoulder as Lydia caressed her hair softly.
"Don't worry my princess. I'm here for you. I know that knowing the truth will hurt you but you have to know it. I'm here for you my princess. Your mother is here"

"Finally I've gotten Ogechi's support. Everything I do is for you my dear. I don't want you to face what chinenye put me through. Amara will never get the chance to go to America and she will never be with Jordan"

*****************

    "Come where is your sister Adaora?"Mrs Blessing asked as she stepped outside the house on a red free gown Amara sewed for her with a matching red handbag to go with it.
She had been searching for Becca that morning and was surprised to notice Becca had left the house without even thinking of preparing breakfast for Nonso---again.
  It was beginning to irk Blessing. She had noticed that Rebecca always left the house early all in the name of morning mass. She began doing it frequently, which always left her mother inlaw infused with anger.

"She went for morning mass"adaora replied as she dropped the broom she was holding and faced her sister's mother in-law.

Mrs blessing shot Adaora a glare and hissed loudly.
"I know. Everytime morning mass! That is now her regular excuse to avoid cooking and tidying up the house every morning. Is she the one that killed Jesus!?"Blessing scoffed with hands in the hair.

Adaora huffed. "Mama so are you against her going to worship God?"

"Even Jesus said we should give what belongs to ceaser to ceaser. The bible also said wives should be obedient to their husband. Rebecca is anything but obedient" Blessing snapped back.

Adaora grumbled,"Mama don't get angry"

Blessing hissed loudly and eyed Adaora.
"I prepared breakfast. When you are done you can go dish out your food. I am going to my shop and Nonso will soon leave for work. When that your sister comes back you better talk to her"
And with that, Blessing headed to the  gate. Adaora watched as Blessing walked away.
"Sister Rebecca what are you doing now? You wanted Nonso now you got him. Why are you then trying to jeopardise your relationship with him and his mother? Sister it's not fair"