Chapter 49

AMARACHI

I screamed immediately the hot water touched my skin. I tried removing my hands at that moment but aunty Lydia held my wrist tight.
I screamed some more in pains as I could feel my skin peeling off then at once she let go of my wrist.
I quickly removed my hands out of the bowl and stared at my blistered hands.

My hands were literally shaking and I was quivering in fear and shock.
"Aunty!"i screamed at aunty Lydia.
"Why are you so wicked!?"I added in screams of agony and pains.

She just smirked at me and watched as my hands kept on quivering.
"This will serve as a lesson to you"aunty Lydia replied maliciously.

The gate suddenly whirled open and Nonso walked inside.
He quickened his pace once he spotted how my hands were quivering.

"Amara what is this?"he asked in concern once he got to me.
He brought my hands up and scrutinized it before facing Lydia, glaring at her.

Lydia hissed loudly at both of us.
"Two foolish lovers" she scoffed before entering inside.

"Lydia you are very wicked! You will pay for this do you hear me! Amara may not be able to fight you but i definitely will!"Nonso shouted from outside.

"Nonso.. Please..take me to the hospital please"I begged as i crumbled in tears.

Nonso looked at me with care and offered me a soft smile.
He supported me as we walked towards the gate.
As the air hugged my body, I shivered once more.
"Lydia will definitely pay for this"he whispered in my ear as we walked towards the gate.

*****************

"Amara how are you feeling now?"Nonso asked as he sat next to me on the iron hospital bed.
The nurse in the ward packed the ointments she used on me and gave me a faint smile before stepping outside.

I nodded my head and flashed him a smile.
"I'm fine Nonso. Thank you so much for everything"
I was really fortunate to have a friend like Nonso.
Even though I didn't feel for him like the way he felt for him, he still kept on being a shoulder I could lean on.
I was grateful for everything.
Truly.

He took a hold of my bandaged hand and caressed it.
"Aren't I like a brother to you? This is what a brother does"he said teasingly.
I let out a laugh.
"By the way Nonso"i began.
"Why did you come over to my place this morning?"

Nonso gave me a funny look and sighed.
"Well my mum wanted me to pass a message to you. She said she liked the clothes you sew and she would like for you to sew her another blouse but this time she will pay personally"

My eyes widened and a bright smile formed on my face.
"Really?I'm so happy she loved the blouse I sew for her. But I don't think I can sew for now"i replied facing my hands.

Nonso nodded his head at me.
"I understand"

"You see that your aunty"Nonso began as he stood up from the bed.
"She will pay for this".

"Nonso I'm so tired of everything. Everything I do is a problem for her"i lamented as I fought to control my tears.

Nonso noticed it and immediately sat next to me.
"This is domestic abuse and it's a crime. People get jailed for this and aunty Lydia will definitely get behind bars"

"She will be put in prison?"I asked immediately.

"Yes"he replied abruptly.
"Enough is enough. Your aunty needs to be put in her place. I will definitely file a complaint against her to the police. What if she did worse by pouring you hot oil? Amara this woman definitely needs to be put in her place"Nonso said sternly.

Nonso was right.
Aunty Lydia went too far.
I couldn't even imagine what would have happened to me if hot oil was poured on me.

"As for you Amara you aren't going back to that house today"

What?
Confusion was written all over my face.
"Where am I going to go?"I asked with furrowed brows.

"My house"

I gasped and shook my head continuously.
"No no please Nonso. I don't want Rebecca's problem please" I pleaded quickly.

"Calm down"nonso softly spoke to me.
"She isn't around. She went to visit her mother yesterday. It's just my mother and I. Amara see this as a help from a friend please. I can't let you go back to your aunty"he said trying to soothe my nerves.

After much persuasion from Nonso, I agreed to go with him.
Deep down within me, I really hoped I wouldn't run into Becca.
But if she does insult me I'll definitely lash back at her.
We are no more friends so I owe her no atom of respect.

********************

"Mama where is that lazy girl sef?"Ogechi asked as she applied some lipstick on her lips whilst staring at her reflection using her phone camera.

She and her mother were preparing to go visit Mrs Justice.

"That witch. Her boyfriend came to get her of course"Lydia replied.
Ogechi turned to face her mother who was trying to put on a necklace.

"Boyfriend? Who will date that orphan?"Ogechi sarcastically asked as she turned to applying some mascara.

Lydia chuckled.
"That lover boy now. Nonso. Protector of Amara. He has a wife yet he is still following her"

"Mama don't blame him o. Amara is a husband snatcher. Becca told me once but i didn't believe it. You know she and Becca are no longer talking because of this issue. She is a big husband snatcher"

"My dear let's leave their stupid issue and focus on going to meet your future mother inlaw" Lydia said with a huge smile forming on her lips.

Ogechi stood up and catwalked around her mother whilst showcasing her outfit.
"Mama how do i look?"she asked with ecstasy.

Lydia blew her a kiss and gave a thumbs up.
"You look ravishing my princess"
Ogechi blushed and laughed. She picked up her purse and waited for her mum to do the same.

"Let's go. No time to waste my princess"

****************

"I'm glad you both could come visit me"Mrs Justice said before she took a sip of her drink.
"Ogechi you look so beautiful"she complimented which made Ogechi let out series of laughter.

"Thank you so much ma. You too"Ogechi replied beaming with smiles.

"She is as beautiful as you are Ada. People will even think she's your daughter"lydia buttkissed Mrs Justice.

Mrs Justice waved her hand and laughed heartily.
"Lydia your daughter is really beautiful I must say"

"Thank you Ada. Ada you wanted to see some of Ogechi works right? We brought it with us"Lydia eagerly said as she handed Mrs Justice a polythene bag.

Mrs Justice opened and a smile formed on her face.
"Wow. This is marvellous. This talent really runs in your family. Ogechi you are talented to be honest"

"Thank you ma. It's God" Ogechi said feigning modesty.

"I came back here to fish out raw talent like this. Madam Lydia as I said the first day i met you, I want to pick talented seamstresses and take them abroad. Ogechi and Amara seem really talented. There's only one spot left but i can make way for two of them but they must really prove how talented they are"

Ogechi's face lit upon hearing that she would go abroad but she detested the fact that Amara had a chance of coming.
She glanced at her mother who had that same worried and happy look written on her face.

"Ma is Jordan around?"Ogechi asked eagerly.
Ada nodded her head pointed up the stairs.
"He is upstairs. Wait I'll call the cook to get him"

Ogechi beamed with smiles on the thought of meeting Jordan.
As if on cue, Jordan came down the stairs, his gaze on his phone.

"Jordan my dear meet our visitors"Mrs Justice said.

Ogechi's eyes widened immediately she spotted Jordan.
He was the same man she saw Amara with.
She was immediately consumed with anger due to the fact that Amara had met Jordan before her.
Then the realisation dawned on her; she had foolishly embarrassed herself that day she saw him with Amara.