Chapter 95

Raphael sat on the sofa, his mind perturbed. He tapped the pads of his fingers on the chair as his thoughts drifted back to Nicole.
She looked so sad and withdrawn, he suddenly felt scared that she might hurt herself.
He was getting anxious and agitated.
Raphael stood up immediately and headed for the kitchen. On entering he spotted Nicole, back turned against him. She was crying.
But her cries were silent. Her head was buried in the kitchen sink and it looked like she shut her mouth again.

He slowly walked over to her. He stood behind her, his towering height above her's as he watched her. She must have sensed his presence which was why she slowly stood up yet she didn't face him.
His legs moved on their accord as he came even more closer to her,his hot breath lingering on her neck.
Her back was pressed against his front. Nicole sniffed her nose and wiped the tears with the back of her palm.

"What do you want? Do you want me to prepare something for you Mr Raphael?"her tone flat and emotionless.

"Don't call me that" Raphael snapped back to his own surprise.
Since when did he start disliking the fact that people treated him formally?
He always liked being respected but now hearing the way Nicole addressed him got him with mixed up strange feelings.

"I'm Raphael. Call me Raphael. Don't add mister to it"
Nicole could only nod her head.
"What's wrong?"Raphael asked softly. She kept quiet.
He placed his hands on her tensed shoulders.
There was a brief moment of silence.

"Have you ever been in love?"Nicole suddenly asked to his surprise.
Raphael thought for a moment.

"I have never actually been in love"

She sniffed her nose once more.
"You probably won't understand what I'm going through"

"Tell me"He coaxed as he softly caressed her shoulders.

"My first true love got me shattered that's why I'm crying"Nicole said with shaky voice.

Raphael stared at the ebony skinned beauty and wondered who would break her heart.
"He doesn't love me. He is in love with somebody else. Somebody close to me. I still love him but it's hard to just forget. I feel like I waited my entire life for him"Nicole confessed as she broke down again.

Raphael was sharp. Being a barrister made him shrewd. He immedately began putting the peices together.
"Your sister and Jordan? You like Jordan?"

Nicole couldn't reply. Her silence spoke millions.
Suddenly Raphael felt stung with jealousy wondering why she liked him and why Jordan in the first place would reject Nicole.
Nicole was the ideal type of woman he believed every man should have.
She wasn't the average African woman that a man could trample over. She was bold and not soft.

He saw Amarachi as being too soft for his liking. Nicole's attitude attracted him in their first meeting.
He was surprised by the way she was able to stand up for herself and turn the tables around making it look like he had purposely bashed her car.
That was so smart and shrewd. He was a barrister and he knew that being shrewd was a key element in winning a case.
He liked her character at that instant and found it intriguing.
Why would Jordan reject this ebony beauty and her intriguing character?

"Why did you love him?"Raphael asked.

Nicole turned to face him, a faint smile appearing on her lips.
"He was the ideal man. Now you know why I'm sad and crying. But don't tell him and Amara please. Amarachi is very emotional. I don't want her to make a stupid decision because of me. I want her to be happy and I want Jordan to be happy too"

Raphael just stared at her.
Love was a foreign language to him. He grew up in a dysfunctional home. As a young boy, he grew up watching his mum and dad fight unnecessarily.
He felt he was the only reason his mum and dad stayed together. They never got along. They fought always. Sometimes his mum would break glasses or pull out a gun on his dad, threatening to shoot him. Seeing that as a young child got him traumatised.