Chapter 79

AMARACHI

I walked to an unknown destination, brushing off tall grasses and shrubs from my path. To be honest I had no idea of where I was going or how I found myself in this dense forest but I somehow felt safe.
It felt like someone was waiting for me as I kept on walking.
I could hear sounds of birds chirping. It made me feel happy and somewhat secure. The breeze blew eagerly as I kept on walking.
Suddenly i spotted someone sitting down on the grass, her back turned against me. Her thick afro swaying in the direction of the wind. She was singing.

I knew that voice. It sounded so familair like I've heard it before.
I steathily walked towards the woman, making sure not to startle her.
It felt like I knew her.
But as clumsly as I was, i stepped on a branch which made her stop singing. She turned to face me and immediately my eyes widened on seeing the woman.
It was my mother!

"Mother!!!"I screamed out. She stood up with a broad smile on her face and I immediately ran to hug her, crying onto her shoulder. She looked exactly how I remembered her.
I pulled out of the embrace and stared at her, tears flowing freely down my cheeks.

"Amarachi my princess"She said delighted. I hugged her once more. Probably tighter.
I couldn't believe it.
Was I dreaming?
My mother is here with me.

"Mum I've missed you" I cried onto her shoulder as she patted my back.
"I've missed you my sweetheart. My baby girl is so big. Look at you. So beautiful"

I pulled out of the embrace once more, crying and smiling. She was also smiling as she admired me.
Mum still looked so beautiful. Her ebony skin looking so flawless, her curves perfectly situated garnished with her dark afro hair even thicker than mine.

"Stop crying my baby"she said with a tear escaping her eyes.
"You too don't cry"I said in between my smiles and tears.

"What are you doing here Amara?"She asked as she held my down, both of us sitting down on the grass.

I raised my brows at her and pouted.
"Aren't you happy to see me?"

She let out a mild chuckle. "Of course I am my little baby. My baby is all grown up"She said and caressed my cheeks.

"To be honest mama I don't know how I got here. I can't remember anything but I'm glad I saw you. I've missed you so much mama"
She had this sad look for me in her eyes.

"Mama I'm suffering"I continued, tears gradually welling up in my eyes.
She listened with rapt attention and held onto my hand, intertwining it with hers.

"Mama they want to kill me. They want to kill me mama. I've suffered too much. I want to stay with you"
I broke down into tears again and faced down, trying to use my other free hand to clean the tears but they wouldn't stop flowing.

"Who want to kill you?" My mother asked calmly after a brief silence.
She brought my face to meet her soft gaze.
"Who will dare touch my princess?"

"Mama I don't know. My life is in danger. I've suffered too much mama. Please I want to stay with you"I pleaded.
I am literally tired and fed up. God knows I have gone through much and I am tired.
I just want to go stay with my mother. I am broken. I have no father, no family. Now I've met my mother and I just want to stay with her forever.

"Look at me Amarachi"Mum suddenly said sternly.
I slowly stared at her.
"Clean those tears. I gave birth to a strong girl. You won't break down. Not now. You've come too far. You can't give up now"

"No mama. I've gone through pain mama. Pain. I've endured pain. I'm tired. I want to stay with you..mama"

"I know you've endured much. I promise I do. I know what my daughter passes through. But I don't want you to give up. Amarachi you can't give up. You are a strong girl"
My mother said interrupting me and she gave me a confident smile, but I am literally tired of everything.
Does she really know what I'm facing?
Does she know my life is in danger?
Does she?

"Mama I'll die. They want to kill me!"I screamed out in pain.

"Nobody will kill you my daughter"she said with utmost assurance.
I stared at her, confusion written all over my face.

She probably knew i wasn't convinced. She sighed and gave me that her soft smile.

"I promise Amarachi. Nobody I mean nobody will touch a hair on your body"
She pulled me for a hug immediately.
All the tears I had held in, i cried on her shoulder.
After the hug, I pulled out and stared at her.

"Now you have to go ok. You aren't suppose to be here". There was sadness in her tone.
I shook my head vehemently.
I can't leave her. I need her.

"Mama i can't leave you"I complained.

"You have to go ok. Amarachi you can't be here. You will have to go back"
My brows pulled in a worry.
"Why can't I?"

She didn't say anything. She stood up and I stood with her.
She released her fingers from mine.

"Mama please don't leave me"i begged, my voice shaky.
I had met her. I couldn't afford to loose her again.

"Who said I'm leaving you?I am always with you. I promise my love"

"Mama please don't go..please...let's stay together"I pleaded as I cried bitterly.

She shook her head at me.
"We can't my princess. I love you ok. And I promise, nobody will kill you. I promise you"

"African princess wakeup!!"
I immediately woke up as I felt somebody hit me.
That was a dream?

It can't be. It felt so real. It can't be a dream.
I was with my mother.
"Why you dey cry?"
I looked up to see the rugged armed man that woke me up from my sleep.
I didn't even realise I had started crying.

I glanced at the window. It was sunrise. The stars were clearly fading away and the sky was splashed with a canvas of blue and pink.
Today was the day I would die.

"Stand up!"He yelled one more time which startled me.
But I wasn't suppose to die now.
It wouldn't be till the evening.

"It isn't now. I am not supposed to die now"i spoke up with the little bravery I could muster.
"But na today you go die. The time no matter!"He barked.

He suddenly pulled me up violently.
I watched as the other captives stared at me with the same fear I had in their eyes.
Probably they knew they would also have the same fate.

He dragged me out of the uncompleted room and led me outside. I couldn't even cry anymore.
I had no energy left in me.
My mum promised me I wouldn't die but it was just a dream.
I will die. Atleast I'll finally get to be with my mum.

"Mama I can't wait to be with you"I thought with a faint smile spreading on my lips.
This was it.