Chapter 43

AMARACHI

  Becca just insulted my mum. I couldn't believe she hated me this much.
I thought we could sort things out with each other but she is so clouded with her jealousy.
I was thinking so much as I approached our house that tears started trickling down my cheeks.
I immediately wiped my tears. A sternly resolve washed across my face.
I wouldn't cry for her.

   I opened the iron gate and stepped inside. The cold air slapped across my cheeks.
It was already evening and slowly the sun was setting.
A deep sigh escaped my parted lips when I remembered I would have to start making dinner.
I was about heading to the backyard when I saw Nne coming outside.

  "Amara nwam"she chirped.
A smile spread across my lips and I  went over to help her climb down the step pavement of our house.
I led her to the chair under the mango tree.

  "Thank you my dear. I was waiting for you. How did it go?"

I shook my head in shame and wore a frown on my face.
"Rebecca has completely changed. Our friendship is over"

Nne nodded her head as if she had seen it coming.
"I told you Amarachi. That girl has changed. I don't like her again. But tell me what caused the fight?"

"Nne you won't believe it. Nonso said he likes me and according to Becca Nonso also likes her and wants to marry me. So whenever she sees me with Nonso she immediately flares up and insults or humiliates me"

Nne stared at me, shocked.
"Wait Amara, why is she humiliating you, why can't she humiliate Nonso? Is it your fault that he likes you? This is so confusing. Why would Nonso promise love to two girl's? He isn't like all those rascals now"Nne said.

I waved my hand at Nne and gave her a faint smile.
"I don't even know. This is really confusing. All i know is my friendship with her is over"

Nne raised a brow at me and sighed. "What about Nonso?"she asked as if she was eager for me to talk to Nonso.

I shrugged my shoulders at her.
"Nne forget Nonso. I have nothing connecting me to Nonso again. Let him just be with his Becca. I'm tired of both of them"

Suddenly Nne looked downhearted.
"But Amara try and talk to him. You know he isn't like all these unfaithful boys. Please try and hear his own side. There are two sides to a coin you know. Rebecca told you he promised to marry her but what if she was lying"Nne said trying to convince me.

  I shook my head at Nne. I was done with both of them.
I wanted him to marry her immediately so she would see I'm not after Nonso.
"Nne I'm not talking to any of them ok. Don't worry about me"i said determinedly.

I could hear Nne murmuring as I turned to leave. She worried too much. I understand she doesn't want me to break my friendship with Nonso but at this point I can't cope again.
It's better we all seperated.

************
  I sat in the backyard, turning semo tirelessly. I was so tired but i had to keep on turning the semo to make it so smooth.
I didn't want any of aunty Lydia's shout and complaints.
  I heard footsteps approaching me and I raised my head to see Nonso who looked so downcasted.
I sighed and frowned at him.
What does he want now?

  "Amarachi"he called out softly.
"Nonso good evening" I replied abruptly and continued turning my semo.

  He came closer to me and squatted. I could feel his piercing gaze on me.
There was an awkward silence between us.

"Nonso how did you know that I was here?" I asked breaking the silence.

"I came here to talk to you and saw Nne sitting outside. She said that you were at the backyard"
God!
I groaned within me and shook my head.
I told Nne I didn't want to talk to Nonso yet she is trying to make it happen.

"Amara I have so many things to pour out to you. I'm so sorry for everything. To be honest I love you so much. It's you I want"
I let out a laugh and stared at Nonso with widened eyes.

"Amara you've suffered o" I said with a chuckle as I clapped my hands twice.
Nonso still looked intently at me.
"Nonso I see you as a brother please! Stop telling me all these. It is irritating. Go and tell all these to your Becca because I don't understand why you are the one that tries to come close to me yet I'm the one she always fight!"i yelled at Nonso.

"Amara to be honest I don't love Rebecca. I seriously don't. She trapped me. Becca said I slept with her and deflowered her. To be honest I can't remember doing it. She said we were drunk. Now she is forcing herself on me. I don't love her. It's you i love Amara. I never promised to be with Becca but she is the one forcing herself on me"Nonso cried out.

Hearing him say that, I felt guilty for raising my voice at him.
Maybe Nne was right after all.
Rebecca was just trying so hard to get Nonso.

"Look Nonso" I began with a mild tone.
"I just don't want any of Rebecca's issue again. I've tried to settle things with her but it didn't work out.
I didn't want our friendship to end like this. Both of you are so close to me"
I stopped talking for a while and smiled at nonso. He smiled back at me.
"Nonso I love you ok......"
"Really?"Nonso replied too immediately cutting me short.

"I love you as a brother Nonso"
I could see how the smile and eagerness on his face died down immediately.
I felt bad at this point but i didn't feel anything for Nonso apart from that brotherly affection.

"Amara don't say that please"Nonso pleaded as he immediately held on to my arm.
I shook my head at him.
That was the truth.
"Nonso I see you as a brother but Becca wont believe any of that. I'm just tired of her attitude. Just go be with her please. If you want I can sew you an attire for your wedding"

Nonso immediately eyed me and stood up.
"Amara I'm saying i don't want to marry her and you are talking of sewing me a wedding attire. It seems like everybody is now mad"
I couldn't help but laugh at this comment.
What I said was silly but i would actually help him with his wedding attire.

  "Nonso please you have to go now. If aunty Lydia comes here and sees you she will think another thing. Please go now" I urged after remembering aunty Lydia would be back any time from now.

Nonso sighed and nodded his head.
I watched him walk away.
I felt so bad about everything but i can't do anything.
I don't want to be in between Nonso and Rebecca again.
Let them just sort themselves.
Nonso would make a good partner but he wasn't meant for me.
My partner will find me.
     The thought of having a partner made me laugh.
How would I ever get one when my life is like a triangle.
From house to shop to market.
Well i still believe everyone deserves a happy ending----including me.