Chapter 12

AMARACHI

"You don't have to worry, everything is sorted out"the young handsome stranger said jolting me out of my thoughts and back to reality.
I nodded slowly at him. I then turned to look at my aunty. Immediately our eyes met, she put on a fake smile and stretched my bag over to me.

"Go home my dear"she said rather too friendly.
What a facade!
I knew once I arrived home, I'll receive the full punishment. All this was just an act to cover up her inhuman behaviour.

I nodded my head and took my bag from her, turning to leave but then the young man grabbed my arm, as if telling me to stop.

"Hold on. How much got missing?"he asked as he brought out his wallet.

My aunty eyes widened immediately. I really hope she doesn't collect any money from him.
After all the lady took the three thousand naira I had!

"Eehm it was three thousand naira"aunty Lydia replied whilst smiling.
I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
Did she forget to tell him she already took the three thousand naira from me?

I watched as the man brought out five thousand naira and handed it to her. She waited for some seconds before accepting.

"Thank you my son"
Aunty Lydia grinned like a child who saw candy.

"I hope it is settled now. If anything happens to her I'll hold you responsible ma'am"

What!?
Did he really mean that?

"Everything is fine. Amara please go home ok. Go and rest"
I nodded my head once more and turned to leave.
Stepping outside, I noticed some passerby's were staring at me.
Possibly because of my injured face. I caressed my bruised cheeks, trying to cover the injuries from the peering gazes of onlookers.
"Won't you go home?"
I immediately turned around and saw the young man behind me. I totally forgot about him because I thought he left already.

"Y-yes sir"I replied immediately and wanted to walk away before he called out to me again.

"Let's go together then. Shall we?"he asked but it seemed like a command instead because he already started walking ahead of me.
I stood on that particular spot for a while, unsure of whether I should walk with him.
Everything seemed so unreal.

He was being nice to me. I don't know him from anywhere.
So why was he being this nice?

"Don't just stand there girl"he said as he was some metres away from me.
I nodded my head and went towards him.

"I-i....you don't know where I live, s-so why are you following me?"
God why was I stammering!?

He let out a chuckle and glanced at me.
"Well lead the way then piccolo"

I furrowed my eyebrows again.
Piccolo?
What does that even mean?
Was that an insult?
No he won't insult me. He just saved me from aunty Lydia.

"Well I just felt I should escort you. Don't worry I might not reach your house"he said breaking the silence between us.

"Oh...well...thank you sir for saving me"

He glanced at me again before laughing.
"I'm kaima not sir"he corrected.

It seems he is from the eastern part of Nigeria.
He's from this area.
My suspicions were right after all.
He looked like a mixed breed.
Either he was a mix breed or he was among those people who stayed abroad for so long that they ended up looking like the white men over there.

"Chikaima?"I immediately asked.
The name was an Igbo name.

"Wow yes. That's my full name. My name is chikaima, piccolo"