Friday Night Bites: High School Mayhem, Part I

Mr. Tanner was walking around the class explaining something or other about one of the World Wars, but Bonnie wasn't really listening. She was too busy doodling in her notebook to pay attention. It was really strange. She kept seeing these numbers in my head and kept drawing them in different ways in her notebook. However, no matter how different they looked, they were always the same set of numbers: 8, 14, and 22.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the classroom, Elena and Dean were whispering about something discreetly among themselves. "Hey, Lena," he whispered drawing her attention. "Wanna ditch school after lunch?" he asked randomly. "What? No!" Elena replied in surprise. "Oh, come on, just for one day?" Dean pressed. "I promise I'll make it worth your while." "Dean, are you crazy? We'd get caught, we'd--" Dean cut her off by saying, "No, we won't. I promise." She rolled her eyes in feigned annoyance. "Where would we even go?" she argued softly. "What would we do?"

He smiled wickedly. "That's the beauty part, Elena. We can go wherever and do whatever we want."

"Ms. Gilbert. Pearl Harbor?" Mr. Tanner suddenly called on her. All eyes turned to him but he promptly ignored them. "Uh, December 7th, 1941, right?" Dean replied off the top of his head. "Thank you, Ms. Gilbert," Mr. Tanner snarked.

"Any time," Dean smirked.

Even though that was meant to be a witty comeback, Tanner decided to take him up on his reply. "Very well. The fall of the Berlin Wall."

"What?"

"The fall of the Berlin Wall," Tanner repeated. "Or were you not implying that you could call out the correct date of a historical event at any time?" Dean glared at the teacher intensely, and if looks could kill, Dean would have gone to jail for twenty-five to life. "1989, one year before I was born," Dean answered. "Dates are pretty easy to remember... Sir."

"Really?" Tanner inquired haughtily. "How good are you?"

"Dean, what are you doing?" Stefan whispered to his friend. "Shut up, Stef, I got this," Dean stated. "I think I'm pretty good. After all, I'm not just a pretty boy jock who can throw a ball across the field." Tanner sneered, "We'll see." Dean cracked his knuckles dramatically and said, "Bring it, old-timer?"

"Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."

"1964, my mom and dad's birth year," Dean smiled.

"John F. Kennedy's assassination."

"1963. Fun fact: also the day my mother's parents got married," Dean answered with a chipper attitude.

"Martin Luther King."

"That was '68."

"Lincoln."

"1865, a year after our very own Battle of Willow Creek. Just FYI," Dean sassed.

Tanner was starting to flounder and Dean knew it. He was getting owned in his own classroom in front of his students. Dean knew he should probably stop, but he just couldn't help himself. He wanted to see Tanner crumble and choke on his self-righteousness until he passed out.

"Roe VS. Wade."

"'73."

"Brown VS. Board."

"1954," Dean sighed obnoxiously, as though he had something better to do.

"The Battle of Gettysburg."

"1863," Dean said in a sing-song voice, causing a hushed onslaught of giggles. Tanner was fuming at this point. He knew he was being taunted, and he would not stand for being upstaged in his own class. So, he decided to play dirty.

"The Korean War."

Dean froze. The topic of the Korean War was something Dean was never able to understand. Each time Tanner taught it, Dean would always end up bombing the test. Only just last school year was Dean finally able to pass the Korean War Test with a 70%. "Hello, Mr. Winchester, are you still with us?" Tanner said with a smug look. "Yeah, yeah. Uh, I think that--" Dean was cut off by the teacher saying, "You think or you know?"

A red hot burst of energy surged through his arm and Dean's hand immediately came over his wrist to hide the glowing tattoo. Unfortunately, Stefan and Elena noticed his movements. Dean tried to take calming breaths to coerce the Notam Bellatores to settle down and said, "I know... For a fact that the Korean War started in the year 1950."

Tanner shrugged indifferently. "Okay, but what year did it end? Or do you not remember that from your test last year?"

This son of a bitch is trying to piss me off. Dean thought. He willed the Mark to cease its flaring, but he could already feel his resolve crumbling. Suddenly, the memories of him murdering Eris Rivera and Michael Dustin flashed through his mind.

"It wouldn't take much," a dark voice whispered in his mind. "You could walk over and snap his neck and no one would even care."

"Mr. Winchester!"

Dean blinked rapidly. "Yes?"

"What year did the Korean War end, Mr. Winchester?" Tanner raised his voice.

He had to say something, otherwise, he'd look like an idiot. But if he said the wrong thing, he'd look like a bigger idiot.

"Well?"

"The Korean War ended in the year 19... 53," Dean answered uncertainly. Now it was Tanner's turn to smirk. "Wrong answer! It ended in '52." Dean sighed and tried to casually look down at his desk. Elena gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Actually, sir, Dean's right. The war ended in 1953," Stefan chimed in.

Dean perked up and glanced at Stefan, who nodded and gave him a reassuring smile. Tanner frowned. "Look it up, somebody. Quickly." A handful of kids got out their phones and started searching for the answer until one kid finally got it.

"It was 19... 53," they confirmed, which made Dean beam proudly with a hint of relief. The students murmured among themselves, as they applauded Dean for his academic prowess. Elena grinned at her boyfriend and she too joined the applause. Dean winked at her, before looking back toward his friend and giving him a dap.

Mr. Tanner glowered at them, but more specifically Dean which he returned with just as much fire. Within the young hunter's mind, Dean could still hear that dark voice inside his head urging him to kill his teacher. But at least the Notam Bellatores stopped burning his wrist.

Little did he know, it was only going to get worse.