Family Ties: Family Heirlooms

After leaving Dean on the dance floor, Elena went to find Bonnie to confide in her about what transpired, and she found her friend sitting on of the benches in the sitting room and took a seat next to Bonnie with an unceremonious plop. "Elena? What happened? What's wrong?" Bonnie asked, her brow furrowed in concern. Elena took a shaky breath and wiped the burgeoning tears from her eyes. "Dean and I had a fight," Elena sniffled. "We were talking about Stefan and his past with the Salvatores, and... I just really need a friend to talk to."

Bonnie cringed guiltily. "This is my fault," she confessed. "I planted doubt. I'm a doubt planter."

"It's not your fault," Elena shook her head. "I just— I feel terrible, because I promised myself that I wouldn't get in the middle of it, and then that's exactly what I did. I got all snotty and aggressive, and I put Dean in a position where he had to defend his best friend."

Before they could continue their conversation, the two girls were interrupted by Mrs. Lockwood. "Elena, honey, there you are," she smiled as she approached and took a seat in the chair across from them. "I noticed the watch still isn't in the collection." Elena blinked rapidly in realization. "Oh, um, I'm sorry, Mrs. Lockwood. I, um, I couldn't find it. I guess it's still packed up in my parents' stuff somewhere."

The smile on the Lockwood Matriarch's face faltered slightly, as she said, "I see. Well, please let me know if you do find it." Elena nodded, and without another word, the older woman got up and walked away.

*                              *                              *

Damon was creeping up the stairs of the Lockwood Mansion and started down the empty hallway when he heard the high-pitched voice of Caroline following after him. He stifled a groan as he whirled around and grabbed her by the hand, dragging her into an empty room. "I've been looking for you," Damon said.

Before she could begin speaking, the vampire cut her off. "Okay, sweetie, I need you to stay right there," he ordered moving her to where he wanted. "Perfect."

Then he walked across the room and picked up a wooden box and carried it over to the small table behind Caroline. Carefully opening the box, he sorted through its contents until he found what he was looking for and smiled. Unfortunately, Caroline decided to look back and see what he was doing and said, "Uh, you're not supposed to touch." She lowered her gaze warily at the golden crystal encased in an iron amulet and she immediately felt her skin crawl. "What is that?" she questioned.

Damon shut the box and stuffed the amulet into his pocket. "It's a very important crystal," he answered vaguely. As he picked up the box again and put it back where it came from, Caroline continued to prattle on. "Well, h-how did you know it was there?"

"Because I put it there."

"When?"

"A long time ago," Damon responded. "Tonight, I'm taking it back, thanks to you." Then he grabbed her arm and forcefully tugged her out of the room, even as he ignored her asking what the amulet was for.