You're Undead To Me: Dean II

I had just finished counting out the rest of the money and putting it inside the box when Stefan walked up to me. "Hey, Dean, have you seen Elena?" he asked. I looked up at him and shook my head. "No, I thought she was washing cars with you," I replied. "She was, but then she went to go ask Caroline for something and I haven't seen her since." I frowned when I heard the vampire's words. "That's strange," I pondered. "You know, come to think of it, I haven't seen Caroline at all either since this morning."

"You think maybe they went to the same place?" Stefan inquired. I shrugged and said, "Possibly. But it still doesn't tell us where they went." Then I remembered something from earlier. "Wait a second. Sam was the last one to see either of them. Maybe he knows," I stated. "Alright, let's go find him," Stefan prompted. I nodded and locked the metal cash box before picking it up and taking it with me to go find my brother.

We eventually found him sitting at a table with a couple of teenagers around his age. One of them was a boy with brown hair and blue eyes while the other was a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. "Sammy," I called out, getting his attention. Sam smiled and waved at us, as we approached. "Dean, Stefan, hey. These are my new friends Andy and Amy. They just moved here a month ago," he grinned, as the two kids greeted us kindly.

I smiled back at them and gave a short wave while Stefan just nodded. "Nice to meet you both," I saluted. "I'm sorry to bother you, Sam, but we need something." My brother's smile dissolved from his lips, and his brow creased anxiously. "What's going on?" he quizzed. Just as I opened my mouth to speak, Stefan beat me to the punch. "We're trying to find Elena and Caroline, have you seen them?"

Sam's brow furrowed deeper. "Not since a few hours ago when I was working cashier duty with Elena," he answered. I noticed the dejected look on Stefan's face when my brother responded, and felt a primal spark of possessiveness surge through my body. Oh, great! Don't tell me I'm getting possessive of Elena just because Stefan is worried about her. Besides, there is no reason to be jealous and possessive. They are just friends... then again, that's only because Elena friend-zoned him for me.

Okay, so maybe there is a little cause for jealousy.

BUT NOT TOO MUCH!

Anyway, I tried to tune my mind back into what was going on in the present, pushing the feelings of envy and dominance as far down as I possibly could, trying to come up with some kind of explanation as to what happened to the girls. "Did either of them say they were going anywhere when you saw them?" I queried. Sam shook his head. "Yeah, Caroline said she was going to get more towels, but she never came back after that," he responded. "And Elena?" Stefan pressed, provoking me to give him the side-eye. There it goes again. That possessive jealousy.

I quickly masked my expression to hide my aggression, deciding to focus on my brother.

"I haven't seen Elena since..." he trailed off. I watched in concern as he was hit by a sudden realization. "What? Do you know something? What is it? Is something wrong?" I rambled.

"We should probably go find Jenna," Sam voiced. "I think I may have an inkling as to what Elena might be up to."

Up to? What did he mean by that? Was Elena up to something? If so, what was it?

Sam gave his new friends a sheepish apology, and for a split second, I felt a pang of remorse swell in my chest. When we moved to Mystic Falls, I wanted him to be able to have a happy, normal life. And now because of me and my selfish habits of saving people and hunting things, it was slowly tearing his life apart. I didn't have time to wallow in my regret, however, because my thoughts were interrupted by a loud scream out in the parking lot.

Not waiting to see if the others were behind me, I dashed over to the source of the screams, and once I got close enough, a pungent odor wafted into my nose. It was smoke, and where there is smoke there is— "FIRE!" a student cried out, as she stumbled away from a car that had seemingly ignited out of nowhere. When I got close enough to see it through the crowd of frightened teenagers, I saw a trail of fire that seemed to be leading from the vehicular inferno back to its point of origin, which was...

"Bonnie?" Sam said, appearing next to me, as we both started at the entranced Bennett witch.

"Yep," I sighed. "I think her powers are finally manifesting."

"Just like Sheila said they would," Sam chimed.

Quickly, we both rushed over to Bonnie and pulled her away from the flames, and when we broke her concentration, the fire dissipated and sputtered out. "Hey, sweetie, you okay?" I asked cupping her face tenderly looking for any signs of burns. She may be a fledgling witch, but she was still human. She blinked repeatedly, as she came out of her trance. "What? What's going on?" she mumbled. Then she saw the smoke billowing from the burnt-out husk of the car she just set on fire.

"Did I do that?" she whispered fearfully. My brother and I shared a look before turning back to her and nodding in affirmation. "Yeah, Bon, I— we think you did," I acknowledged. "Nobody else saw, did they?" she muttered. "No, not that we saw," Sam replied. Bonnie let out a shaky breath and stared at us with worried eyes. "Please don't tell anyone," she begged. In response, Sam and I pulled her into our embrace and hugged her tightly.

"It's okay, Bon. Your secret is safe with us," I vowed.