Elena II

As soon as I walked into class, I realized that Dean and the new guy both occupied the seats next and they seemed to be deep in conversation with each other. However, as soon as they glanced at me, they stopped talking. Weird. I brushed it off and sat down in between them and greeted Dean.

"Hey, Dean!" I said.

"Hey, 'Lena," he replied.

I rolled my eyes in feigned annoyance at the nickname he settled me with three years ago. I quickly glanced at the new guy and waved and he smiled and waved back. Then, I turned around and saw Matt sitting a few seats behind both us. He seemed to be in better spirits, but the same look from this morning was still in his eyes.

Great!

_____________________________

"Once our home state of Virginia joined the Confederacy in 1861, it created a tremendous amount of tension within the state," Mr. Tanner explained. And that wasn't the only tension happening in Virginia. I was stuck in between three guys. On one side, Matt was pining after me like a lost puppy, but I don't feel the same way. I hate that I hurt him so badly, but I can't help how I feel.

On the other side, this new student had this certain... Allure about him, that made me want to get to know. Maybe it was his mysterious appearance in Mystic Falls or maybe it was his clear interest in me. Or maybe it was something else entirely.

Finally, we have Dean, who I am pretty sure I've had a crush on since summer break. At first, it started out small, like, a flicker. I don't know when it turned into this monumental bonfire that won't go out. As much as I feel myself being drawn to the new guy, I feel that same pull where Dean is concerned.

I inwardly cringed. I don't want to be that girl who's always getting caught up with more than one boy. I just want to go to school without the drama. However, that seems to be impossible with me.

That's when I suddenly felt my phone vibrate. When I pulled it out and opened up the text message, I noticed that Bonnie had sent it. It read: HAWT-E. STARING @ U.

I stifled a smile.

*    *    *

Later that day after school, I was walking to the cemetery to pay respects to my parents and I hear the squawk of a bird on the way there.

  Dear Diary,

  I made it through the day.

  I must have said, "I'm fine, thanks," at least 37 times. And I didn't mean it once. But no one noticed. Like I originally said, Dean was probably the only person that I was going to be honest to today. When someone asks, "how are you" they really don't want an answer.

In other news, I finally admitted the truth to myself about something I have been struggling with; my feelings for Dean. And the truth is... I like him a lot. The only thing concerning me now is whether or not he feels the same. And if he does, would he admit it?

As I scribbled away in my diary, I saw the same bird from earlier appear out of the corner of my eye atop my parents' headstone. It continued to stare at me with a striking pair of eerie bluish-black eyes. Suddenly, a sharp chill ran down my spine, as I got the feeling that I was being watched. And that's when the fog rolled in, slowly at first, but eventually it crept over the entire graveyard.

I immediately jumped up and looked around to see if anyone was there, all the while the crow was cawing like a maniac. Carefully, I bent down to grab my bag and then darted off into the woods away from the cemetery. I only turned around once and I swear for a brief moment my heart stopped. I didn't see the intruder's face, it was too foggy for that. However, I did see a glimpse of a silhouette of a man standing ominously next to one of the statues. I gasped then turned back around and started running again.

And as if it had a mind of its own, the fog came after me and I urged my legs to move faster. But I moved too fast, tripping over a broken branch and tumbling downhill until I hit a tree near the riverbank. I screwed my eyes shut in pain and got back on my feet.

"You okay?" I heard someone say behind me.

I leaped ten feet into the air and whirled around frightfully. I relaxed somewhat when I saw that it was only the new guy. Once I caught enough of my breath, I asked him, "Were you following me?" "No, I, uh-- I just saw you fall," he replied. I gave him a suspicious look. "Uh-huh, and you just happened to be hanging out in the cemetery."

"I'm visiting," he countered. "I have family here."

Oh. Wow. Tactless.

'Way to go Elena.'

"I'm sorry. It's the fog, it's making me... Foggy," I responded awkwardly. For the next few minutes, I rambled about the bird and Hitchcock, unsure of what I was saying or even what point I was trying to get across to him. Finally, I just gave up and introduced myself.

"I'm Elena."

"I'm Stefan."

"I know, my friend Dean told me about you and we have History together," I replied.

"And English and French."

I nodded in remembrance. "Right." "Oh, you, uh, have something right..." He reached out and pulled a twig out of my hair, "there." I felt my face heat up and I hoped to God that I wasn't blushing. We stood in silence for a few moments, before I noticed a peculiar accessory on his right hand. "Nice ring," I said.

"Oh, um, it's a family ring, yeah. I'm kinda stuck with it," he smiled. "It's weird, right?" "No, no, it's, I mean, there are rings and then there's that," I chuckled.

Just then, a frown crossed his face, and he looked down at my ankle. "Did you hurt yourself?" I followed his gaze and looked down before I set my leg up against a rock and rolled up the bottom of my pant leg. Sure enough, I had a small cut on my leg with blood dripping down my ankle. "Whoa! Would you look at that?" I winced. "That is not pretty."

I looked up from my wound and saw that Stefan had his back to me. "Are you okay?" I asked. "You should go," he said, a hint of a growl in his voice. "Take care of that." I shrugged it off with a sigh and pulled my pant leg back down. "Really, it's nothing." However, he was already gone.

Well, that was odd.

To Be Continued...

.....