Night of the Comet: Welcome to the Festival

The next day the town was bustling with energy, as the townspeople went about making the final preparations for the Comet Festival. Whether they were regular, everyday townies setting up face painting booths or members of the founding families passing out flyers to advertise the vigil, everyone in town was present and participating.

Well, almost everybody.

Neither of the Salvatore brothers and Dean Winchester could be found anywhere. And that... Well, that wasn't good for anybody.

At the park, Elena and Bonnie were passing around handouts while also discussing Elena's current boy trouble. "Dean didn't call, huh," Bonnie said as more of a statement than a question.

"Or text."

"Well, did you ever get back in touch with Stefan?" Bonnie asked. Elena shook her head. "But then I realized we never exchanged any of that stuff," she answered. "Stefan and I never even got to the texting part, and Dean has been avoiding my calls."

"Elena, texting is an important milestone in a friendship!" the Bennett girl chimed. "As for Dean not calling you back, I heard from Grams that he had a really bad argument with Sam the other night, which may have something to do with it." This drew Elena's attention. "Why? What happened?" She inquired.

"Grams would go into detail, but she said it was about something serious; something to do with the cause of their parents' deaths or something," Bonnie replied.

"What about their parents," Elena questioned, "I thought they both died of natural causes?"

"Dean found out otherwise," Bonnie stated simply. "At least that's what I've heard."

"And he hid it from Sam?" Elena queried.

"Mhmm, and Sam was not too happy about it either."

"Yeah, I can imagine," Elena scoffed. "So do you know how they died if it wasn't natural causes?" Bonnie exhaled deeply and shook her head. "No. Whatever it is, Grams won't say, and I doubt Sam and Dean are gonna be any chattier."

"Well, that explains why he didn't call, I guess," Elena declared. "Maybe the timing wasn't right anyway."

Bonnie puzzled. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm not ready to get into a new relationship, and neither is Dean," Elena explained.

"Who is?"

"At least I put myself out there!" Elena snapped. "It was a disaster in the making: he's one of Matt's best friends and I'm Matt's ex-girlfriend."

Bonnie tilted her head. "Is that what you're calling it?" Elena shifted awkwardly and avoided her gaze. "What do you mean?" "All I'm hearing are reasons why you can't," Bonnie sighed. Not wanting to respond, Elena pulled her lips together tightly, as she and Bonnie wandered around the rest of the park handing out flyers in relative silence.

Meanwhile, Caroline was just finishing up a conversation with a few of the volunteers at the festival when she saw something out the corner of her eye. Well, more like someone. Whirling around and stepping away from the volunteers, her suspicions were confirmed when she laid eyes on Damon Salvatore.

She smiled and strode towards him but before she could get too close, he was gone in an instant.

*         *         *

"What is Damon doing home? Why is he here?" Zach interrogated.

"Because I came home. He wants to make my life miserable," Stefan said, as he finished buttoning his shirt. "Among other things, I imagine. That's how he enjoys his."

"Well, he's putting us all at risk, The hunters included," Zach replied briskly. "I don't need to remind you what happened the last time Hunters and vampires were in Mystic Falls at the same time." Stefan shot his nephew a dirty look. "I took care of everything, Zach," He said striding past him to get to the door.

"You sure?"

The vampire paused. "No, I'm not sure, Zach. I don't know how well my compulsion worked on the girl. I'm not as strong as Damon," he admitted. "So what happens if it doesn't work?" Zach questioned. And rightly so considering Stefan's reply. If either of them were being completely honest, they didn't know what they would do if Stefan's compulsion wore off. All they could do was sit back and cross their fingers, and hope for the best.

But with their luck, there was bound to be a mishap.

*         *         *

Inside the Grill, Sam was frantically looking around for any sign of his brother. After their argument last night, Dean disappeared and has been A.W.O.L. since then. At first, he thought his brother just went out to blow off some steam or get a drink.

But then, he didn't show up for breakfast and wasn't returning any of his calls. And if he had to guess, it had something to do with that damn mark on his wrist.

Sam had literally searched the entire town and still found nothing. He was hoping that someone in here had seen him because he was really starting to run out of options.

While this was going on, Jeremy bumped into Vicki and the two of them started up a conversation. "Are you feeling okay?" Jeremy asked. She sighed painfully, "I hurt."

"Well, the doctor gave you something, right?"

"The kid stuff," she snarked. "Nothing with an "o" in it. I think they were onto me." Jeremy chuckled lightly at her words, as he scavenged through his pockets for a bottle of pills. "Here, knock yourself out, literally," he japed handing her the bottle.

She smiled genuinely. "Thanks, Jer."

"So, you gonna, uh, watch the comet later?" Jeremy asked nervously. "I hadn't really thought about it," she shrugged, then smiled. "But I could be talked into it. I'll meet you out there in a few."

Just then, a new voice cut short their discussion. "Hey, Vick," the voice said. "How you feeling?"

She scoffed. "Like you care."

Jeremy tried to stifle his laughter as Tyler stammered to come up with some kind of rebuttal. When he finally paid attention to younger Gilbert, his face hardened. "What are you lookin' at, Gilbert?" But all Jeremy did was smile smugly and stroll away.