You're Undead To Me: True Colors

ELENA

"I tried. I want so much to make things right, but every instinct in my body is telling me to be careful. What you don't know can hurt you."

Elena let out a deep breath, as she wrote down the last sentence, and closed up her journal.

LOGAN FELL

"Evening, Sheriff," Logan grinned, as he walked into the Grill later that evening. The sheriff motioned for him to sit with her at the bar counter and he obeyed. "So, you find anything?" Logan asked.

"We went over the entire west side of the lake," Sheriff Forbes informed. "All the caverns by the falls were clean, no signs of habitat." Logan frowned. "Then they have to be staying in town," he replied.

"We canvassed all the abandoned buildings and warehouses," she rebuffed.

"Maybe a private residence?" Fell added.

"And that much harder to locate, if not impossible," she sighed. "These creatures are smart. They know how to go undetected."

"Well, someone who only comes out at night should eventually become obvious," Logan gritted out.

"What about the watch?" the sheriff said, changing the subject.

"Working on it," Loan answered.

"I knew the Gilberts," she explained. "That watch is passed down to the men in the family. I'd start with Jeremy."

Just then, the two Founder's Council members heard Jenna call out to Logan. "Good luck," Sheriff Forbes cheered with no real gusto. Logan rolled his eyes before turning around to smile at Jenna as he walked up to her.

"I can't believe you really came," he grinned.

"You have an hour," she replied with a smirk. "Make it count."

ELENA

After putting her journal away, Elena crashed onto her bed and buried her face into her pillow. Despite her earlier declaration about not crying over some boy, she couldn't stop the tears that threatened to spill over her eyes. She hated that she felt this way, and wishes she could make it disappear. But alas, she was only human. She didn't know how long she was crying before she heard the light pitter-patter of someone entering her room.

"You okay?" came the sudden appearance of Jeremy's voice, startling her. She quickly wiped away her tears and sniffed softly. "Is Vicki in there?" she redirected.

"Hey, don't answer a question with another question. Maybe," Jeremy quipped. "What's wrong with you?"

She pouted, still refusing to look her brother in the eye. "I'm miserable."

"Well, you should go get something to eat," he suggested. She huffed lightly and agreed, waiting until after Jeremy had gone back to his room to head downstairs.

When she neared the kitchen, the aroma of herbs and spices wafted through her nose, as did the sound of someone rummaging around the kitchen. "Jenna?" she asked, walking toward the kitchen entrance. "Jenna?"

No response.

Finally, she slid open the door to the kitchen and was surprised to see both Stefan and Dean scrambling around the kitchen as they cooked... Whatever they were cooking.

"Dean? Stefan? What are you doing here?" She puzzled. "Dinner," Stefan retorted. "Yeah," Dean grunted as he reached for a large mixing bowl on the top cupboard. "We figured that we should probably make it up to you."