You're Undead To Me: Damon II

Later that night, or at least what I assumed was nighttime. Honestly, I lost track of time after my veins started rubbing against my insides like sandpaper.

But anyway, it was quiet inside the house, and I was beginning to run out of options, so I used my mental connection to Caroline, and called out to her. At first, I felt nothing. But then, I slowly began to feel the supernatural tether strengthen between us, as I continued to call out to her.

I could sense that my Familiar was nearby, and used the small amount of energy I had left to possess the crow and send it after Caroline. However, the strain of possessing the bird and attempting to hypnotize Caroline at the same time was too much for me to juggle in my weakened state, and I was forced to break the connection.

Letting out a frustrated groan, I let my head fall back against the wall, as my body slipped into unconsciousness.

* * *

A handful of hours later, I was awakened by the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs inbound for my lowly cell and sneered. I couldn't hear a heartbeat, so it wasn't Zach. "Stefan?" I moaned. "Are you there?" A few moments later, I looked up and saw my brother staring back at me through the visor. He never spoke a word, opting for judgmental silence which was almost worse.

"I bet you're feeling pretty good about yourself, aren't you?" I rasped.

"Not particularly," he answered solemnly.

"Why not? You won! You caught the bad guy," I choked out. "Now nothing is standing between you and Elena... well, except for one thing. Guess that's one small victory I can take to my grave knowing that even though you got rid of me, you will never get to be with Elena the way I can never be with Dean."

For a brief moment, I saw something akin to anger flash across his face. I let out a strained chuckle. "There's the real Stefan," I smirked weakly. "I knew I would get a rise out of you eventually." Stefan narrowed his eyes as his lips twitched upward spitefully. "And now that you have?" he inquired.

I ignored his question in favor of my own. "Tell me, brother. Have you even contemplated telling Elena the truth? Or have you and Dean just decided to keep lying to her until it becomes unavoidable?" I pondered. "Face it, Stefan. So long as you keep denying who and what you are, those lies are gonna catch up to you. Eventually, you won't be able to hide behind your noble façade, and even Dean will abandon you once he discovers what you've done."

"The beauty of you in there and me out here is that I can walk away," Stefan sneered. Then he turned and walked away from me.