You're Undead To Me: Stefan I

Something strange was going on with Dean. Recently, his been moodier than usual and he seems to forget where he is or even what he is doing. It's almost like he's blacking out. It's like something was causing him to blackout.

Was it the curse? Or was it something else entirely?

These were questions that only one person had the answer to. However, I doubt that Damon feels up to chatting after what happened last night. Then again, he, of all people, knows how dangerous it is for Dean to complete the curse. And despite his feelings towards me, he would never let Dean suffer any kind of hardship if he could help it. So, I left Dean's room in my house, and went downstairs to the basement.

When I got there, I peeped through the eye slot of the dungeon, just as Damon was waking up. However, I noticed something off about Damon when I saw him. His shirt was torn and shredded, exposing the deep gashes across his torso that sizzled and gushed with black ooze. His eyes were bloodshot with tears of red streaming down his face, as he coughed raggedly when he came to.

What the hell happened to him? He couldn't have done this to himself. Could he? Or was he faking it all to get me to drop my guard?

"Damon," I called out warily.

"No. No more. Please," Damon rasped as he tried to drag himself back into the corner.

"Damon, it's me, Stefan," I said.

Damon shook his head deliriously, and let out a painful groan. "It wasn't my fault," he pleaded. "I tried to save you, Matthew."

Now I knew he wasn't faking it. Outside of last night, Damon hasn't spoken that name in almost two centuries. Before I could think to do anything, Damon lurched forward and a roaring surge of black and red blood erupted from his mouth, as black and purple veins pulsated around his entire face. Without thinking, I unlocked the door and rushed into the room just in time for him to collapse back to the floor with an agonizing scream.

Once I was at his side, I gagged profusely at the smell of vervain, blood, and... wait. Was that? I knelt next to my brother who was writhing on the ground and tried to hold him steady, but I immediately flinched away, as a searing pain shot through my nervous system. I looked at the place where my hand touched Damon and noticed that it had the same steaming black substance on it that Damon had just thrown up moments ago.

"Son of a bitch," I muttered in realization.

Once I let the realization sink in, I noticed that had Damon stopped convulsing. In fact, he wasn't moving at all. Or breathing.

"Hey, Damon. Damon wake up! Wake up!" I yelled. "Damon! Oh shit. ZACH! Get down here, I need your help!"

I continued to try to shake my brother awake even as I heard the thundering footsteps of my nephew bolting down the stairs to the basement.

"What happened?" Zach heaved.

"I don't know. I came down here to check on him after Dean left and when I got here, he had these gashes all over him and he had blood coming out of his eyes," I explained frantically. "I think he's been poisoned."

"With what?" Zach inquired.

"Umraëc," I said.

Zach's eyes went wide in horror. "We have to get him to my office," he replied gravely. "Now!"

Without another word, Zach got to his feet, and I grabbed Damon's arm and slung it over my shoulders, hoisting his limp body off the ground and following Zach out of the basement. As my nephew led us through the deeper parts of the basement underground, my thoughts were running rampant.