Family Ties: Elena I

I had just finished eating breakfast and was listening to Jenna mouth off at the TV when I entered the living room. "Who are you talking to?" I asked. "Him," Jenna answered jutting her head in the direction of the news anchor onscreen. "The news guy?" I said with a raised eyebrow. "Also known as Logan "Scum" Fell," she seethed. "Did your mom ever tell you why I moved away from Mystic Falls?" I chuckled in disbelief. "No, way! Him? His kinda cute."

"He is not cute! There is nothing cute about him," she complained switching off the television and following me over to the table, where I had an array of old-fashioned items from the 19th-century sitting on it. "So what is all this stuff exactly?" she inquired. "It's a bunch of antiques from Dad's side of the family," I answered. "I went to go get them out of the safety deposit box yesterday. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood that she would loan them out to the Founders' Council to use for their heritage display."

"Is that Grandma Beth's wedding ring?"

"Originally, it was Great-Great-Grandma Mary's ring."

Shortly after, my little brother came into the room grumbling and groaning as usual. "How much do you think this stuff is worth on eBay," he scoffed grabbing one of the items I just cleaned. I snatched it back from him and glared at him. "You're not gonna find out," I countered. "That stuff is Mom and Dad's. You can't just give it away," Jeremy argued. "I'm not giving it away," I clarified. "It's called a loan, Jeremy."

Just then, we were alerted by the ring of the doorbell. "Hold that thought," I muttered. Then I went to go answer the door and immediately smiled once I saw who it was. "Hey, Lena," Dean said with a smile as he leaned into the entrance. Without hesitating, I pulled him past the threshold and closed the distance between us with a kiss. When we broke apart, I grinned adoringly, "Hey."

*                         *                         *

Don't ask me how it happened, because I genuinely don't know. All I know is one minute, we were just talking up in my room, and the next, Dean and I are making out on my bed. I felt my breath quicken as my heart hammered loudly in my ribcage. Sparks of pleasure shot through my body as his mouth left a trail of kisses from my jaw to my cleavage.

"God, I don't know what I did to deserve this but I'm sure as hell not gonna complain," I gasped, as Dean slipped his hand beneath my shirt and caressed my skin. I felt him smile as he kissed my stomach. Then he lifted his head and placed a soft yet passionate kiss on my lips again. However, just as fast as he placed his lips against mine, he drew away from me.

"Are you okay?" I breathed.

"Yeah," he said keeping his head turned away from me. When he finally faced me, he looked a little embarrassed, guilty even. And that made me a little concerned, seeing as he's never like this. "Hey, Dean, what's wrong?" "Nothing, nothing. I just-- think that maybe we should press pause," he sighed. I couldn't contain the chuckle the erupted from my throat at his response. "Dean, we've already had sex-- twice," I smirked. "I'm pretty sure we're way past taking it slow."

"Yeah, and that's just it, Lena," Dean acknowledged getting up from the bed. "We aren't taking things slow, we're just rushing into things. Most people I know never have sex on the first date. We had sex before I ever got a chance to ask you out."

Damn! I had even thought of that. And just like that everything Dean said slowly started to make sense. But still, I couldn't help but feel like Dean was using this as an excuse to distance himself from me, and the thought of that being the case hurt. "OK, so what? You wanna jump into a time machine and go back to before I gave you my virginity?" I said provokingly. "No, that bell has already been rung. Can't change that," he answered, taking a few steps around the bed until he sat down right next to me. "However, I can decide to take things slow and do my damnedest to give you a semi-decent relationship. I don't have a lot of relationships that are important to me, but you're one of them. I wanna do this right, Lena." I nodded. "I understand. I wanna do this right, too," I agreed. "In fact, I have an idea on how to correct our current trajectory."

"Oh, yeah?" he chuckled lightly. "Mm-hmm. Just one question though?" I retorted. "How good do you look in a tux?" As soon as I said that, the smile melted off his face and he cringed with disgust. "Oh, no, sweetheart. That's where you have me fucked up," he blurted out making me giggle. "Oh, c'mon," I pleaded, "just for tonight. It's only for the Founder's party tomorrow night." "No, no, no, no. No can do, bug-a-boo," Dean dismissed while shaking his head. "I don't wear tuxedos, I don't wear uniforms, I don't even wear the Mexicano suits and sombreros that the Mariachi wear." "Please, Dean. They're having a heritage display that my mom helped set up. It was one of the last things she did before she--" I cut myself off as my voice wavered. "Listen, you know how involved my mom was with the Founders' Council, and this party was always her favorite. It would really mean a lot to me if you went as my date."

Dean gazed at me intently with a sad smile on his face and groaned softly. "I have two questions: what time should I come to pick you up and what color will your dress be so that my tie can match it?" I beamed excitedly. "Seriously? You mean it?" "Surprisingly, I do," he grinned. I threw myself into his arms and showered his face with kisses while he laughed and fell back onto the bed with me on top of him.

When we separated I stared into his eyes lovingly and swooned. "I love you, Dean." He brought a hand up to trace down the side of my cheek and kissed me tenderly on my forehead. "I know," he quipped. I rolled my eyes and settled him playfully on his arm.

This day was shaping up to be pretty good.