Family Ties: It's Been A Long Night

CAROLINE & ELENA

When she woke up, she was alone and unconscious on the grass. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw something shimmering dimly in the porch light next to her purse. She reached out for it and groggily got to her feet once she had the amulet in her possession. Then she placed it in her pocket and straightened out her dress and combed the grass blades out of her messy hair.

"There you are," chimed Elena as she walked up to her with her heels in hand. "I've been looking everywhere for you." However, when she stood face-to-face with the blonde, Elena frowned. "Are you okay?"

Caroline nodded briskly. "I'm fine," she croaked wetly. "Caroline, what happened?" Elena inquired. Caroline was unable to answer as her chest heaved broadly from her breathing getting heavy. "I'm fine," she gasped again. Elena's face was crinkled up with worry and she placed her arms around Caroline, as she completely broke down in her embrace.

The two girls just stood there holding each other until Caroline was calm enough that she could stand on her own. Whatever was going on with Caroline could wait. Right now all they needed was each other.

STEFAN

I did what I had to do to protect Elena and to make sure Dean didn't activate his curse. I did this to protect everyone.

So, yes, Damon, the headline reads "Deadly beast captured. All is well in Mystic Falls."

So what if I had to subvert a few expectations to get there? So what if I had to keep a few secrets from the Winchesters to get them to help me?

At the end of the day, all that matters are that lives were saved, and the real monster is safely locked away.

MR. & MRS. LOCKWOOD, SHERIFF FORBES, AND LOGAN FELL

Later that evening, after the party was over, Mayor Lockwood entered the sitting room to find his fellow councilman and women who were talking among themselves. "Sorry for keeping you all so late," he apologized. "I know that it's been a long night."

"Did you get the watch?" Sheriff Forbes asked, waving off his concern.

"She claims it's packed away in her parents' things," Mrs. Lockwood huffed.

"I can get it," Logan said as he sat in one of the chairs.

"Good, we're gonna need it," the sheriff replied.

As she spoke, the mayor gave her a dubious look. "Are you sure?" The sheriff looked at him sternly. "Five bodies all drained of blood, including the body of Eris Rivera that was brutalized before she was drained," she started. "I'm certain."

Logan nodded in agreement. "They've come back."

TO BE CONTINUED...