Friendly Meetings, Part II

Matt stood up abruptly and started heading over to where the trio was standing and almost immediately, Bonnie felt a sense of dread wash over her. "Hey," he said, stretching out his hand to Stefan, "I'm Matt. Nice to meet you." "Hi. Stefan," the vampire replied, shaking Matt's hand. Matt gave a half-smile to Stefan before glancing at his two friends in suspicion. "See you tomorrow, Dean, Elena." "Yeah, sure," Dean said awkwardly.

Later that evening when Dean, Elena, Stefan, Bonnie, and Caroline were sitting at a table talking and getting to know Stefan. "So, you were born in Mystic Falls?" Caroline asked. "Mm-hmm. And, I moved when I was still young," Stefan answered back. "Parents?" Bonnie inquired. It suddenly got a little bit quieter at the table.

"Actually, my parents passed away." He slightly turned to sneak a glance at Dean and then to Elena. "I'm sorry," Elena consoled. He nodded graciously and then listened, as she continued to ask if he had any siblings, making Dean noticeably tense. Bonnie gave a Dean a curious look. After all, what reason would Dean have to be tense from the mention of Stefan's family?

"Uh, not any that I speak to," Stefan drew everyone's focus back in. "I live with my uncle." Before they could be engulfed in silence again, Bonnie chimed into the rescue. "So tell me, how do you know our resident flannel-wearing country boy?" "Oh, for God's sake!" Dean squawked. "I don't wear that much flannel." "Dean that is the same exact flannel around your waist that you wore when we first met," Stefan pointed out.

"Untrue!" Dean countered. "I didn't even own this two years ago." "Yeah, you did," Stefan stifled a grin. "Wait. You guys met two years ago?" Elena asked. "Yeah, uh, we met over Christmas Break when I went to go visit my Uncle Bobby down in Sioux Falls," Dean hesitated. Caroline perked up with intrigue. "So, you've known Stefan for two years and we're just hearing about this now?" she interrogated.

"I'm with Caroline," Bonnie agreed.

"Me too," Elena glared accusingly.

"Oh, sure, make me the bad guy. Not every friend I have has to be your friend," Dean grumbled. "I already have to fight you harpies over Lee, can I keep one friend to myself?" The girls gaped at Dean in mock offense. "What Dean means by that is I'm a typical lone wolf, who likes his privacy," Stefan swooped in. "I asked him to keep quiet because I'm usually not very... Inviting."

"There, you see? Not my fault!" Dean voiced.

"So, Stefan, if you're new, then you don't know about the party tomorrow," Caroline changed the subject eagerly. Stefan gave a questioning look. "It's just this back to school thing at the falls," Bonnie explained. "I went once and then I stopped," Dean chimed. "Why?" Stefan asked. "It wasn't my scene anymore," Dean said simply. "And by that, he means he was too cool to kick it with us low lives down at the Falls, " Caroline quipped. "Hey, give him a break," Bonnie said defensively. "With Grams being at Whitmore most of the time, he's got to look after his brother practically all by himself." "Well, are you going this year, Elena?" Stefan asked.

Elena flushed brightly. "Um, yeah definitely," she affirmed. "Dean?" Dean had been staring at the table for the past few minutes, while his friends had been conversing with each other. Memories of his most recent encounter with Damon a few hours earlier were resurfacing and the words the vampire had spoken echoed in his mind. He'd been so enraptured with the voice in his head that he barely registered when Elena addressed him.

"Huh?" He said dumbly.

"I said are you going to the party this year?" she repeated. Dean gave a shrug, "I dunno, maybe I will since Sam's going, and someone needs to look after him." Elena beamed brightly, completely unaware of the looks she was getting from Bonnie and Caroline.

This was going to be interesting.