Family Ties: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Pt. 1

TYLER & VICKI

It was late in the afternoon when the Lockwood family was finishing up their late lunch at the Mystic Grill. Mayor Lockwood sat back in his seat in irritation and confusion as he struggled to figure out what was going on at the school now that Tanner was dead. "So what's gonna happen with the season? One big forfeit?" he asked. "Are they looking for a new coach?" "I don't know, Dad," Tyler huffed. "I doubt anybody's thinking about that right now. Besides, my wrist is broken, remember? And that new guy, Stefan, is taking up to take my place." "Charles, Founders' Party, focus," Mrs. Lockwood chided.

Just then, Vicki appeared with a bright smile on her face, as she waited on the Lockwoods. "How are we doing over here?" she asked. Mrs. Lockwood gave her a disapproving once-over while Tyler avoided her gaze. "We're fine, thank you?" Mrs. Lockwood said dismissively. Vicki glanced over at her boyfriend? Boy toy? Fuckbuddy? Ah, whatever. She gazed at him expectantly, but when he said nothing she sighed and reached over to re-fill his glass with water with a haughty expression. "Anything else I can get you?"

"No, we're fine," Tyler replied curtly. "Just the check, honey," said Charles. She pulled out the check holder and handed it to the mayor courteously. Then she left in a huff, glaring one last time at Tyler.

CAROLINE & BONNIE

Meanwhile, Caroline and Bonnie were just entering the Grill and sat down at a booth in deep conversation about the Founders' Party. "Wait, you're taking Damon?" Bonnie balked. "What about me?" "Go with Elena," Caroline suggested. "I can't go with her, she's taking Dean," Bonnie countered. "Then, go with Sam, or Stefan, or both," Caroline smirked. "Or just go by yourself." "Gee, thanks," Bonnie sassed. "What about your mom? Is she okay with bringing Damon?" "And I'm supposed to care why?" Caroline questioned. "He's older, sexy, danger guy," the Bennett witch listed off. "Older, sexy, danger guy?" Caroline mimicked. "What, is that an official witch Twitter tweet?"

"Don't even mention the whole witch thing to me right now. The whole Tanner situation still has me freaked," Bonnie shivered. "Fine," Caroline surrendered. "And Damon's not dangerous. He just has a lot of issues with his brother." "And with Dean apparently," Bonnie added. "I still can't believe that Dean has been bisexual this whole time and we didn't know it. I feel like a bad friend." "OK, can we not talk about Dean in relation to my boyfriend please?" Caroline snapped. Bonnie raised her hands in submission. "Alright, sorry. So you were saying that Damon has issues with his brother. What kind?" Bonnie asked.

Caroline ducked her head uncertainly. "I'm not really supposed to say anything." "Caroline Forbes, when have you ever kept a secret in your life?" Bonnie joked. "Okay, but you cannot let Damon know I told you this, and you can't tell Elena or Dean. Got it?" Caroline said. Bonnie nodded and leaned over the table, as her best friend spilled the metaphorical beans.

JEREMY & SAM

Across the restaurant, Sam and Jeremy were sitting at the bar counter drinking down to Pepsi-colas while Vicki was trying to shoo Tyler away after the awkward situation with him, her, and his parents. "Oh, your parents are gone. I guess we can be close now," she gritted out. "What the hell does that mean?" the arrogant jock queried. "You treat me like trash," Vicki snapped matter-of-factly. "And I'm sick of it." "I don't think you're trash," Tyler rebuked. "Really?" Vicki scoffed. "Then who are you taking to the Founders' Party?" Tyler smirked knowingly and said, "Vicki Donovan... do you want me to ask you to the Founders' Party?" The waitress fought off a grin. "No," she lied. "It'll be stupid and lame."

"True. But it'll be less stupid and lame if you are there." After giving her one last Award-winning smile, Tyler walked off with a new "pep in his step."

Jeremy rolled his eyes at the sight before him in annoyance. "Unbelievable," he snorted. "Jer, c'mon, man. Easy," Sam warned. "You do realize you had to ask him to ask you, right?" Jeremy said loud enough for Vicki to hear. "Dude, seriously, let it go," Sam begged. Vicki was taken aback by the venom in Jeremy's tone but said nothing. "You figure if you dress up like a respectable young lady he'll finally treat you like one?" Jeremy spat. Sam cringed awkwardly and buried his face in his hands.

"Screw you, Jeremy," she shot back. "You know you're making the wrong choice, yet you make it anyway," Jeremy exhaled. "It's sad." Without another word, he got up from the bar seat and headed for the exit. By this point, Sam had stopped hiding and dropped a handful of bills on the counter to pay for the drinks and gave Vicki a disapproving look. "Look, Jeremy is my best friend, and for some reason, he fancies himself in love with you. But I know exactly the kind of person you are," Sam glared ruthlessly. "You think it's a game messing with a teenage boy's emotions like this, but it's not. Jeremy deserves better than you, and don't you EVER forget that!" Then, he, too, got up and left.