Night of the Comet: Dean II

I drove in silence and back to the Salvatore house with Stefan riding in the seat next to me. I was still pissed at Stefan for ditching me and nearly getting caught. But hey, at least he got the job done with little fuss and I didn't need to go back to the hospital due to a fractured ankle from jumping out of a window. It's the little thing, I guess.

Just then, the image of Elena walking into the Salvatore mansion flashed through my brain. Just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone and I floored the breaks on my car, causing us to come to a screeching and startling halt.

Freaking Bird's Eye.

"Dean, what the hell?" Stefan shouted.

"I just had a vision of Elena walking into your house," I blurted out. Stefan's eyes blew wide in horror. "Oh, God! Zach is at work," he gasped. "Okay, so the house is empty, no big deal, right?" I asked hopefully. "No, it's not," he rebuffed. "Damon is there!"

It was my turn to look horrified. Then my gaze narrowed in determination as I looked back at the road ahead and floored the gas urging the Impala into a full-force race to Stefan's house.

* * *

Finally, we arrived at the boarding house, and I bolted out of the car and rushed into the house. Relief flooded my heart when I realized Elena was still alive, but that quickly faded into anger once I saw who she was talking to. "Elena, hey!" I said, announcing my presence. She quickly turned around and smiled at me. "Hey!"

Without warning, I walked over and scooped her up in my arms in a tight hug. "Whoa!" she squeaked. "I guess someone missed me." I took in a deep breath, enjoying the feeling of her in my arms. "Yeah, I did," was all I said.

Looking behind Elena, I saw Damon wearing that same fucking smirk that he always has. Except for this time, the sadistic mirth never quite reached his eyes. His eyes held an emotion completely different from what the rest of his face was trying to portray.

He must have realized that there was a crack in his facade because in the next minute he blinked and all that hidden emotion was gone. "Good to see you again, Dean," he said jovially. "It's been a long time."

I broke away from Elena and tried to put on my best fake smile. "Damon Salvatore, I never thought I'd see you in Mystic Falls again," I replied pointedly. "What can I say?" He shrugged and got a knowing glint in his eye. "There truly is no place like home."

"Hey, where's Stefan, you said you had to do something with him earlier, right?" Elena chimed in. "Uh, yeah, I did, he's right..." I started.

"I'm right here," Stefan finished, entering the living room.

"Ah, Stefan, so lovely of you to join us," Damon remarked.

"Hey, um, Elena, I want to, uh, catch up with the boys a minute longer," I lied. "Do you mind if I meet with you a little later?" Elena looked between the three of us weirdly but nodded anyway. "Yeah, I should probably go," she let out. Then she looked back at Damon and said, "It was nice meeting you, Damon." "It was great meeting you too, Elena," the older vamp responded. After that, she shuffled out of the house, closing the door after her.

Once she was out of earshot, I quickly lunged at Damon. Unfortunately, Stefan grabbed me before I could get too close. "You son of a bitch!" I yelled.

"Easy, Dean!" Stefan warned.

"What the hell did you tell her?"

"Why?" Damon questioned.

"Damon, cut the crap!" Stefan snapped.

The older vampire raised his arms in surrender. "Hey, all I did was tell her the truth," he answered. "That Stefan was smitten with her and that you have a difficult time keeping a girlfriend after your last relationship went sideways."

As soon as he said those words, something in me snapped. I broke free of Stefan's grip and charged at Damon. However, he whirled out of the way at the last second and threw me into the nearest wall. I shot up off the floor, but by then, Damon had me in a chokehold, and I desperately gasped for air.

"Damon, stop!" Stefan yelled.

"You think you're stronger than me, little Hunter?" Damon snarled. "You're not! If it weren't for me, you'd still be locked up in that old man's basement staring off into oblivion. I could've killed you that day and solved my problems involving your family, but I didn't." As he spoke, his grip on my throat tightened and I felt myself slipping away.

"Damon!" I faintly heard Stefan say. "Calmati, Fratello."

I don't know what Stefan said, but whatever it was, it seemed to have the desired effect because Damon let go of my neck and I collapsed against the wall gasping for air. Damon gave me one last look before walking back past his brother, saying, "Non so perché fingi ti importi cosí tanto questo, ma so che non-sono ti Fratello de molto tempo."

I saw Stefan wince at his words and I wondered for a brief moment what Damon had said to him that made Stefan so upset. I was going to confront Damon about it but he changed the subject before I could. "Anyway, Elena's a great gal!" He sounded. "You guys, however, look pooped. Did you overexert yourselves?"

I saw Stefan look away from his brother.

"Let me guess-- hospital."

I grunted as I pulled myself up off the ground and stumbled across the foyer to collapse onto the couch. "Someone had to clean up your mess," Stefan retorted.

"Which wouldn't have been necessary if you had just ganked the bitch in the first place," I cut in. "I'm usually pro-life, but I can't say anyone would miss Vicki Donovan. Well, besides Matt and Elena's deluded brother, and maybe Tyler... Big ass maybe."

Damon huffed in amusement. "Well, were you guys successful? Did the powers of persuasion work?" I shot Damon a sneer and gestured towards Stefan. "We wouldn't be here otherwise, Damon." "Wasn't talkin' to you, Winchester," Damon rolled his eyes. "Plus, Stefan knows that if a vamp doesn't feed properly, powers like compulsion don't work right."

As curious as I was to hear the end of that conversation, Damon's presence was starting to wear on me. "Alright, Stefan, I'm gonna go do damage control with Elena," I announced. Walking past the two immortals, I clapped Stefan on the shoulder in sympathy. "Yeah, okay," Stefan said back, not looking away from his brother.

"Damon," I started.

The man looked at me with a sly smile. "Yes?"

Nearly five seconds after he said that, I pulled a dagger out and shanked him in the liver. Damon doubled over in pain and I proudly sauntered off, saying, "The next time you choke me, it ain't gonna be a vervain knife. Capiche?"

"Screw you, asshole!"

"Bitch!" Then, I slammed the door shut and left.

As if my life hadn't been complicated enough, now I had to deal with Damon and his schemes which apparently involve me, too. It made sense for why he was screwing up Stefan's relationships, but why was he screwing with mine? What did I ever do to him?