Lost Girls: Stefan I

"She could control my mind and Damon pretended to be under her influence at Matthew's behest. And the Hunter in question was, of course, immune and continued to play his game of cat and mouse," I explained. "She wanted each of us to keep the secret from each other, not realizing that two of them were already in cahoots. She wanted all of us to be together forever."

"Guess she didn't take into account that Damon and Matthew were plotting against her," Dean remarked.

"Nobody did," I scoffed. "Damon has always been manipulative, but Matthew was always the most honorable out of the three of us."

"I don't get it," Sam sighed scratching the back of his neck. "Damon said almost the same thing. He said that Matthew was kind and compassionate and honest. He wasn't duplicitous or conniving."

"Maybe it was the Campbell Curse taking effect," Dean offered. "See, our family were meant to destroy Mikalaen Vampires, which means that the Hunters bore some of the same traits as the things they hunted. So things like our enhanced senses, speed, agility, strength, and immortality are just a few; even the way Hunters are transformed is somewhat akin to the way Vampires are. We also had some counterbalances like compulsion immunity, a rent-free pass to come and go from people's houses as we please, and once turned, Hunters' blood is toxic to vamps."

"But what does this have to do with Matthew?" Sam questioned.

"Well, usually I would tell you that if there is some sort of disconnect in Damon's stories or explanations, it usually means he's fucking with you," Dean started. "However, in this case, he might still be telling most of the truth, while leaving some stuff out. Stefan, did Matthew start acting... differently after he started his Transition?"

"You mean did he start acting more aggressive and assertive almost like he was invigorated by his own virility and desire to kill vampires, or seem like a completely different person while also being the same person, kind of like something took all of his darkest impulses and amplified them similarly to what vampirism does?" I clarified rhetorically.

"I'll take that as a "yes" then," Dean snorted.

"Wait, so you're saying that his personality change was due to Katherine activating his Curse?" Sam balked.

All the while, Elena had braced herself against one of the stone pillars that was still standing after all this time listening to the boys continue to discuss... all of this. I could see the frustration in her eyes, as she struggled to come to grips with everything she had just learned. Quite honestly, I couldn't blame her for being so distraught, and I was genuinely impressed and relieved that she hadn't just run off.

However, I didn't really want to see how much longer she could hold off on that judgment call. So I cleared my throat and decided to end the story for now. "All that aside, Katherine's plan didn't work the way she wanted it to, but..." I announced, as I knelt down beside a small pile of rubble and dug through it until I found the cloth with Damon's daylight ring, "Damon and I, looks like we're stuck with each other... like it or not."

The familiar glint of Damon's ring caught their attention and Dean especially was set on edge. "That's Damon's ring," he said more than asked. I nodded in affirmation. "I took it from him, but now I have to give it back."

"I'm sorry, what?!" Sam blurted out.

"No, Stefan, you can't. You have to keep it hidden!" Elena urged.

"Dean, a little help here," Sam implored.

"As much as I hate the logic behind it... I'm with Stefan on this one," Dean exhaled. "We should give it back to Damon."

Sam and Elena gaped at Dean and me in utter disbelief. "Are you both crazy?" Sam snapped.

"Sam, Elena, if I don't give it back to him, he'll retaliate in the only way he knows he can hurt me and Dean."

"And how is that?" Elena scoffed.

"Us, Elena. Damon will use us to hurt them," Sam realized.

The look on Elena's face when she realized just how serious the situation she was in was nearly broke my heart, but it was too late to go back and stop it from happening. All I could do was hope we could find a way to deal with Damon without any more blood being spilled. But knowing Damon, that was pretty unlikely.