Friday Night Bites: 8, 14, 22

After Dean stormed off in a red haze with Sam and Jeremy in tow, the crowd quickly dispersed and Elena rushed to go find Bonnie in a desperate attempt to make sense of things. "Hey, Elena. What's up?" Bonnie asked when she saw her friend rush up to her. "Can I ask you a question, and you give me a completely serious, no joke response?" Elena bombarded. Bonnie was a little thrown off by the question but nodded regardless. "The bad mojo you felt about Dean and Stefan when you said Dean was acting all cagey and you touched Stefan—" "You know what? Forget I said that. Your whole dinner party talk really won me over," Bonnie cut off. "No, Bonnie, seriously. Do you know something?" Elena pressed.

The young Bennett took a deep breath and shook her head. "It's not so much what I know rather it's about what I sensed coming from him. From them," she elaborated. "It wasn't a clear picture. Like today, I keep seeing those same numbers I told you about—8, 14, 22." "Yeah?" Elena nodded in remembrance. "Well, when I touched Stefan, it was a feeling. And it vibrated through me and it was cold, and the other day when I saw Dean, I—" Bonnie stopped, a wave of fear and uncertainty washing over her. When she noticed her friend pause, Elena leaned in closer and said, "And what, Bonnie?" "When I saw Dean, I felt the exact same thing as when I touched Stefan," Bonnie trembled. "What did you feel?" Elena continued.

Steadying herself, Bonnie looked Elena in the eye and said three words that sent chills down Elena's spine, "It was Death."

* * *

After speaking with Bonnie, Elena went back out to her car to go get something. It wasn't until she slammed the trunk of her car and was getting ready to head back down to the field that she was confronted by none other than Damon. She gasped and jumped back, startled by his sudden appearance. "You scared me. What are you doing here?" Elena asked after calming herself down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sneak up on you. I just wanted to come and apologize for the whole dinner fiasco last night," Damon lied perfectly. "I didn't mean to cause a scene, and I genuinely thought Dean had told you about us before you started dating. It was my mistake. I should have known he would be too uncomfortable with talking about it."

So, that's what this is about. Elena thought.

"Oh, it's okay," she accepted. "You wanted to make peace with him and things got dicey. No big deal. Besides, you and Caroline seem to be hitting it off, so it looks like everything worked out in everyone's best interest." Damon scoffed dismissively. "Yeah, right." Elena furrowed her brow at his response. "Is everything not OK?" she asked. "OK, full disclosure. I didn't just come out here to apologize, I— I'm hiding from Caroline," he confessed, whispering the last part as if Caroline was going to pop up out of nowhere. "Why?" Elena questioned, furrowing her brow even more.

"I needed a break," he lamented. "She talks more than I can listen." "That could be a sign," Elena suggested. "Well, she's awfully young," Damon sighed. "Not much younger than you are," Elena countered, as she shifted on her feet uncomfortably. "I don't see it going anywhere in the bigger picture," Damon huffed lightly. "I think she'd drive me crazy." At that comment, Elena went rigid. "Caroline does have some really annoying traits, but we've been friends since the first grade and that means something to me," Elena started defensively.

"Duly noted. I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable. That's not my intention."

She studied him briefly and narrowed her eyes. "Yes, it is! Otherwise, you wouldn't put an alternate meaning behind everything you say. You're trying to do to me what you did to Dean last night by putting me on the spot like this," she realized. "What? No, you've got it all wrong," Damon started. "I don't think I do," she shook her head. "Look, I get that you and Dean have history, and I understand that you may have issues with your brother, but leave me out of it. I'm not your little plaything; I'm not Katherine."