Lost Girls: Ancient History

"Stop here," Stefan said, as Dean drove through a much older part of Mystic Falls. The Winchester obeyed and parked the Impala in front of what looked like an old plantation. Then he and the others got out of the car and followed Stefan, as he walked through the crumbled remains of the estate.

"What are we doing here?" Elena asked. Stefan turned to look back at his friends. "I wanted to show you all something," he answered. "In the middle of nowhere?" Elena questioned nervously.

"Don't worry, Lena, if he wanted to kill you, he would have done it by now," Dean snorted. "Besides, you got me and Sammy here to protect you, remember?" Elena clenched her jaw at Dean's remark and huffed irritably while Sam pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

"This place didn't use to be nowhere," Stefan cut in, bringing their attention back to the main point of their journey. "It used to be my home."

Dean, Sam, and Elena looked around in astonishment as they stood beside Stefan in the ruins of his old home. "Wait, you lived here?" Sam gaped. "Back when it was still a mansion, yeah," Stefan responded. "But how? I mean, it looks so..." Elena trailed off. "Old?" Stefan finished. "That's because it is."

The girl's eyes widened, as the realization hit her. "Wait. How long have you..." Sam and Dean let out a collective breath as Stefan said, "I've been 17 years old since 1864." "Oh, my God," Elena gasped. Then, she whipped her head in the direction of Sam and Dean quizzically. "Did you guys know about this?" she inquired. Dean gave her a knowing look. "Of course, you did," Elena sighed. "Hey, you said you wanted to know everything, Lena," Dean replied. "So, we're not gonna hold back. You already know how Sam and I got roped into this supernatural crap, now you need to know how Stefan got dragged in."

Dean turned to Stefan and nodded for him to proceed, and the vampire returned the gesture and began his tale. "Half a century before the boarding house was even built, this was my family's home," he started, as he trekked through the ruins. "Damon and I... we were both born here, but we weren't alone either. There was another whom we were close to, despite him being a son of a different founding member. It was always the three of us: the Salvatore brothers and Matthew Dean Campbell, the best of friends, and the Terrific or Terrible, depending on the day, Trio of Mystic Falls."

MYSTIC FALLS, ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO...

It was a bright sunny morning out on the Salvatore plantation and Damon and Stefan were chasing their childhood friend Matthew out of the house, while the third young man ran with a pigskin ball tucked under his arm. He dashed down the front steps with Damon hot on his heels. And just as he made it down the last step, Damon tackled his friend to the ground, knocking the wind out of Matthew.

Stefan laughed at their expense while Damon snatched the ball away from Matthew and got up and ran. Matthew let out a crude swear, as he scrambled to his feet and brushed himself off. "That was not fair, Damon," Matthew griped with no real anger behind his words. "All's fair in love and war, my friend. Or, in this case, football and war," Damon japed.

"Where did you two say you learned this game?" Stefan chimed in.

"At a camp outside of Atlanta. One of the officers picked it up at Harvard," Damon explained briefly. "Now, catch!" Then he threw the football in the air towards his brother, but it was quickly intercepted by Matthew. Stefan lunged at his friend who had stolen the ball from him while saying, "Wait a minute. What are the rules?"

"Who needs rules?" chimed the melodic voice of Katherine Pierce as she stepped outside to watch the boys play their game. The three young men looked up at the woman, and the Salvatores brothers all but swooned at her feet. Meanwhile, their friend Matthew was not so easily swayed. He let his brilliant green eyes study her in reserved subtlety, however, she caught his gaze and flashed him a playful smirk. Matthew promptly averted his gaze, knowing full well that he had been caught and instead opted to toss the ball over to Stefan who still seemed to be swept up in Katherine's splendor.