Elena III

Dear Diary,

  I'm honestly terrified for the day to start. I got Dean to agree to come to the party tonight, which I consider to be a win. I have already decided that today is the day; the day I'm going to tell him the truth about how I feel. But if he doesn't feel the same way, then it might ruin our friendship. And if that happens, then I don't know what I'd do. I mean, yeah, I have my girls Caroline and Bonnie, but Dean is different.

   Just like how Caroline and Bonnie understand me each in a different way, Dean and I share a different kind of connection. It was a connection that was built on loss and tragedy. And from that pain, a bond was forged. Even if he doesn't think of me in the way I think of him, I still want him to be part of my life; no matter what capacity that's in.

Later that morning, Dean and I were riding in his car in comfortable silence, as he drove us to school. It was just me and him today since Sam and Jeremy ride the bus on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bonnie hitched a car ride with Caroline today as well. And with how busy the day was sure to be, this might be my only chance to tell him the truth without other people cutting in. I let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding and began to speak.

"So," I said awkwardly, "you still going to the party?"

Wow. Really?

He shot me a quick glance before returning his focus to the road. "You ask, I come. I'm easy like that," Dean retorted. I bit back a grin and rolled my eyes at him. "I'm serious!" I nudged him gently. "You said you were only going because Sam wanted to go." "Yeah, so?" Dean asked. "So, Sam said he wasn't going anymore and that he was going to stay home and study for an upcoming test he has in Mr. Tanner's class," I continued. "And so what, you think I'm gonna bail on you and leave you to avoid Matt, fend off Caroline, and keep Vicki Donovan away from Jeremy all by yourself?" Dean listed off.

The Impala came to a stop at a street light and Dean turned to face me. "C'mon, Lena, you know that I always try to keep my promises," he said. "If I say I'm goin' to this party, then I'm goin'. Besides, it wouldn't be terrible to hang out more with my favorite Dream Girl." I looked away at my window to hide the blush creeping across my face. The car started moving again, signifying that the light had changed and I finally chased away the blush threatening to burn off my cheeks.

"I'd thought Effie was your favorite Dream Girl," I joked. "She is, but you're a close second," he winked. "Well, we can always hang out more outside of studying and parties. It's been a while since we've hung with just the two of us," I responded casually. He snorted, "That's because the last time we did, Bonnie and Caroline seemed convinced that we were dating."

I gave him a questioning look. "And that's a bad thing?" All of a sudden, it was like an old record had come to a screeching halt, and just like that, the light-hearted atmosphere was gone in an instant. I winced at my idiocy and chanced a look in his direction. However, when I tried to gauge his reaction, he looked neither upset nor awkward, nor confused. In fact, I couldn't tell anything about his unreadable expression. "Well, there's nothing bad about them thinking we're dating, it's just not the correct assumption," Dean replied carefully. "I didn't mean anything by it if that's what you think."

"Oh, no, no, no, no, I get it," I backtracked. "I totally understand." Dean gave me a soft smile and turned his attention back to the road. Well, it was now or never! Might as well dive in headfirst. "So, would you date me," I asked slowly, "I mean, hypothetically, and if I were the last person on planet Earth?" I heard him let a light chuckle, which meant he was nervous.

"You know what, nevermind," I conceded. "You don't have to answer that." I looked down at my lap in embarrassment and twiddled my thumbs anxiously. "I might have dated you," Dean admitted. This nearly made me lurch forward in my seat in surprise. I whipped my head harshly in Dean's direction and balked at him. All he did was wink at me in response to my reaction. I scoffed and rolled my eyes in irritation. But a part of me still couldn't let go of what he said. Was there some truth to what he said?

*         *         *

Later that morning in history, Mr. Tanner was teaching us some local history about Mystic Falls during the Civil War. "The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war and in our own backyard," Mr. Tanner explained. I sat dazed in my seat still pondering the conversation Dean and I had earlier in the Impala, only half-listening to Mr. Tanner. So when he suddenly called on me to answer a question, all I could do was stare open-mouthed as I scrambled to come up with an answer. Finally, I just said, "I'm sorry, I don't know."

"I willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena, but the excuses ended with summer break," he jabbed. "Jesus Christ, Tanner, she doesn't know the answer," Dean jumped in protectively. A series of murmurs echoed from the students as Mr. Tanner glowered down at Dean.

"Excuse me, Mr. Winchester, can you repeat that?" Tanner said. Dean tilted his head upward, his classic grin dancing over his lips, and said, "There were 346 casualties during the Battle of Willow Creek, Mr. Tanner." "Unless you're counting local casualties," Stefan added. Dean and Stefan shared a look before turning back to the teacher. Mr. Tanner had apparently caught the exchange and clenched his jaw tightly. 

"Well, both of you are correct," he griped. "And you are?"

"Stefan Salvatore, sir."

"Salvatore?" Tanner said curiously. "Any relation to the original Salvatore family here in Mystic Falls?"

"Distant."

"Well, very good. Except for the fact that there were no civilian casualties in this battle," Tanner corrected briskly. "Actually, sir, Stefan is right and there were 27 casualties," Dean grinned impishly at his friend, "isn't that right, Stef?" The Salvatore descendant huffed lightly but seemed to play into whatever game Dean was currently playing. "Yeah, Dean. The, uh, Confederate soldiers fired on a church, they believed it was housing weapons. They were wrong," Stefan replied.

Mr. Tanner was seething inside, although, he put up a good front. It was truly a sight for sore eyes and I honestly felt my heart flutter at how Dean and Stefan were sticking up for me. "You know, the Founders Archives are stored in Civil Hall if you would like to brush up on your facts," Stefan retorted boldly. Dean glanced back at Tanner with a shit-eating grin plastered across his face and it took everything in me not to laugh out loud. "You heard the man, Mr. T," Dean announced. "Happy fact-checking."

Then Dean looked back over to me and I tried to put on my best stern look. Unfortunately, my smile kept breaking through and all I did was shake my head. I turned my eyes to Stefan and mouthed the words "thank you," before looking back down at my desk.

I guess knights in shining armor do exist.

To Be Continued...

.....