Friday Night Bites: Damon I

This was going better than I could have hoped for. And we haven't even had dessert yet. "No way," Bonnie said airily. "Dean, you're—" "I experimented a little a few years back," Dean replied quickly. "Sue me." "Experimented? That's what's you're calling it?" I huffed softly. "Well, I guess I can't say I didn't see that coming."

"Screw you," Dean seethed.

"Hey don't kill the messenger, Dean," I raised my hands in surrender. "I thought you told them already. Besides, what does it matter? Our relationship is ancient history. We both moved on fairly quickly, despite it only being 4 months ago." Dean winced harshly and buried his face in his hands. "WHAT?" Stefan and Sam gaped in unison. Elena turned to her boyfriend in disbelief. "Wait. You guys broke up 4 months ago?" she asked. Taking a sharp breath, Dean slowly looked up at his girlfriend and nodded in embarrassment and... Was that guilt?

A pang of anger and jealousy shot through my heart, as I watched him interact with Elena. Seeing them together was not easy, and I doubted it was gonna get any easier. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to see them together for long. "Okay, setting aside the fact that your first boyfriend was Damon Salvatore, you neglected to mention that you were bisexual to me, Dean!" Sam snapped, jolting me out of my inner turmoil and back to the current situation.

"I was gonna tell you, Sam," Dean argued defensively, despite his voice not carrying the same enthusiasm as his brother's. "I just-- I never found the time or the right moment to say something." Sam snorted sarcastically, "Yeah, Dean, I'm sure it was hard for you to find the time to come out to me 'cause you were too busy getting freaky with Damon Salvatore!" "Hey!" I raised my voice and glared at Sam threateningly. "Don't get pissed off at your brother just because he doesn't think you're approachable enough to tell this kind of secret to. Besides, what does it matter anyway? The two of us broke up so you shouldn't be this upset over it."

"Thank you!" Dean exhaled in equal parts exhaustion and exasperation. Whipping my head over at my ex, I gave him a condescending smirk. "I was including you, too, mio amati," I replied bitterly. I watched as he flinched away from me when I said that last Italian phrase, uncaring about the curious looks I was getting from the others or the glare I was getting from my brother. "You need to let go of the past, Dean. All I want is to be friends and make peace," I continued. "I know we both said some hurtful things to each other, but I want us to get past that. What do you say?"

I could feel the heat of Dean's rage ebbing off him in waves. He was trapped, and he knew that I trapped him. If he refused the so-called truce that I offered him, it would just stir the pot even more and cause his friends to have more questions about our past relationship. And if he accepted the truce, it would still make both of our little brothers question him all the more. Either way, I got Dean right where I want him.

"Well?" I asked expectantly as everyone looked on eagerly awaiting his answer. I bit back a chuckle as the corner of Dean's eye began to twitch and his heart rate sped up dramatically. Finally, he took a deep breath, which I assume was meant to calm him down, and said, "Sure, why not? Just don't actively seek to piss me off anymore, and we'll call it even."

* * *

Later after we cleared up that situation, Caroline took it up herself to change the subject and talk about what happened at cheerleading practice. When she got to the point where she obliviously insulted Elena and said she was going through a blah phase, I had to refrain from rolling my eyes while everyone else either glared at Caroline for being so insensitive or had a look on their face that said they would rather be anywhere but here. That's when I decided to step in and save everyone... except Stefan. "I'm sorry, Elena. I know what it's like to lose both your parents," I consoled. "In fact, Stefan and I have watched almost every single person we've ever cared about die."

"We don't need to get into that right now, Damon," Stefan chimed in. "Ah, you know what, you're right, Stef. I'm sorry," I sighed. "The last thing I wanted to do was bring her up." "Oh, boy," I heard Sam mutter softly under his breath. Interesting. So, I guess that means he knows something about Katherine. At least based on what I assume his brother told him about her, which probably wasn't much.

"Well, on that note, I think we should start cleaning up the dishes. Elena, Sam, you guys mind helping me out?" Dean intervened before things got any more awkward. "Yeah, sure," Elena stammered out. With that, the three of them got up and made a beeline for the kitchen.

This was turning out better than I had hoped for.