Family Ties: The Right Partner

Back on the patio, Bonnie sat alone at one of the tables when the candle suddenly blew out. It shouldn't have sparked anything inside her. But it did. She should have just asked someone to re-light the candle. But she didn't. Instead, she focused all her energy on the candle until it reignited itself. Fear twisted in her gut, as her heart jumped into her throat and she quickly blew out the candle once again. She was imagining things. She had to be! There was no way she lit a candle up with her mind.

But she did.

Not trusting her mind to distract herself from what she had done, Bonnie abruptly got up from the table and scurried towards one of the doors leading back into the Lockwood Mansion.

* * *

As the night dragged on, Damon made his way out to the dance floor where he found Stefan and Caroline smiling and talking. "What did I miss?" he said, announcing his presence as he approached the couple. "We were just chatting," Stefan replied while holding two champagne flutes in his hands. "Drink, Damon?" Damon eyed his brother warily, and said, "No, thanks, I'll pass." Stefan smiled forcefully and drew his hand back.

"Well, if he won't take it, I will," came the familiar roguish voice of Dean Winchester as he made his way through the dimming crowd to get to them. This time, Stefan's smile was more genuine as he handed the drink to his friend. "Here you go." "Thanks," Dean said as downed the golden liquor in a single gulp, squinting slightly at the subtle burn. "Easy there, tiger. This isn't the right place to be getting drunk," Damon warned sarcastically. "Don't want to draw any attention to yourself." Dean raised his eyebrow challengingly, setting the flute down on a nearby table. "You're one to talk," he carped. "All you do is draw attention to yourself."

"What can I say? I'm too attractive not to be noticed."

"Okay, guys, break it up," Sam cut in as he pushed past his brother and his brother's ex, with Elena not far behind. Damon and Elena locked eyes briefly and were caught in a battle of wills. But before either of them could break contact, Dean stepped in, saying, "Hey, Lena, how 'bout a dance?" Elena broke contact briefly to look at her boyfriend and smiled. "Yeah, that'd be great," she nodded. Then, Dean gave Damon a smug sneer, not caring about the deathly glare his ex was giving them, before leading Elena out to the middle of the dance floor.

Deciding he didn't want to see her get left in a potentially bad situation, Sam looked at Caroline and offered her his hand. "Shall we?" he asked. "You dance, Sam?" Caroline puzzled. "I can get by," Sam shrugged. "Fine. Beats standing around all night," Caroline exhaled, rolling her eyes fondly as she took his hand. "Just don't step on my toes." Sam chuckled, as he lead her out to the dance floor and twirled her dramatically, before pulling her into a close, borderline protective embrace.

"Now there's a couple, I didn't imagine. Sam and Caroline. They do look cute together, don't they?" Stefan remarked. Damon groaned in annoyance. "Shut up, Stefan!" "Oh, cheer up, brother. I'm sure they're only friends," Stefan teased. "Then again, Dean and Elena were once friends, too. Oh, well, second time's a charm, right?" "Go screw yourself," Damon bit out. "Yes, Damon, and I hope you have a wonderful evening as well," Stefan smirked, finishing off his drink before walking off, leaving his brother to brood alone as the Winchesters danced the night away. But eventually, it got to be too much for Damon to see Dean dancing with Elena, and disappeared back inside the house.

"I hope my psycho ex-boyfriend didn't drive you too crazy in there," Dean said after a while. Elena huffed sardonically and clenched her jaw. "Oh, God, what did he do now?" Dean sighed. "Honestly, I think that he's jealous," she proclaimed, "but I also think that in his own way, Damon is worried about you." Dean furrowed his brow. "What are you talking about?" he asked.