Friday Night Bites: Four Is Company, Seven Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen

Later that afternoon at the Salvatore Mansion, Stefan was getting ready for his small get-together with Dean, Bonnie, and Elena. He stepped out of the closet after finding and putting on the shirt he was going to wear when he saw his brother lounging in his chair reading one of his diaries with his feet propped up on the desk. "I heard Dean was a standout player today at practice," Damon mused. "It's a shame you didn't try out for the team. You could have given him a run for his money." "I didn't want to expose myself," Stefan replied. "Besides, it's tense enough as it is with Elena being his girlfriend. I don't want to infringement on his football team either. Plus, Matt is a whole nother issue."

At this, Damon raised an eyebrow. "I thought you said you were mature enough to get to know Elena without falling in love with her," he challenged sarcastically. Stefan opened his mouth to reply, but before he could say anything, his brother swiftly changed the subject. "Whatever, it's none my business. You know, it's very Emerson, the way you reveal your soul with so many..." Stefan sped over to the desk and snatched his diary away from Damon while the latter simply smirked, "... Adjectives."

"What are you doing here?" Stefan interrogated. Damon sat up straight in the chair with a remorseful looking in his eyes. "I've come to apologize," he began. "I've been doing some thinking, some soul searching, and... I want us to start over. We need to put the past behind us. You're my little brother, and if you want to live a normal, happy human life, then I want that for you." Stefan tilted his head dubiously.

Every bone in his body was telling him to turn around and walk out that door and stop listening to the bullshit Damon was spewing from his mouth. However, there was still a part of him that wanted to believe Damon was being genuine. "And maybe I can do it, too," Damon continued hopefully. "I mean, I can learn to be a non-living, living person. Who knows, maybe there's hope for the both of us." Before Stefan could fully process what Damon had said, the older vampire burst into a fit of laughter as he walked past him.

Stefan exhaled deeply. "It doesn't have to be this way, Damon."

"Of course it doesn't. I saw Elena today, too, BTW-- that means "by the way"." Damon scoffed bitterly. "She was at cheerleading practice. At least, she was until the little bitch went crying to Dean about how much she hated it." Stefan glowered at his brother viciously. "Simmer down, lover boy, I didn't go anywhere near her. I've got a cheerleader of my own," Damon taunted. "Oh, yeah?" Stefan scowled. "I would have thought a football player was more your speed." Damon's smirk died on his lips. "Well, I'm a patient guy. I've waited this long. Then again, if it weren't for you I wouldn't have to wait at all," he sneered. "Besides, I have ways of getting what I want... or who."

With that, he stormed off and left Stefan alone in his inner turmoil.

* * *

That night at the Gilbert household, music was playing on the radio as Bonnie and Elena scrambled around the kitchen trying to get the food prepared for the boys. As they did so, Bonnie was desperately trying to convince Elena that she was psychic. "You explain it!" She argued. "Last night, I'm watching "Nine-O", a commercial break comes on, and I'm like, "I bet it's that phone commercial!" And sure enough, it's that guy and the girl with the bench, he flies to Paris and he flies back. They take a picture."

"Oh, come on," Elena grumbled in disbelief. "That commercial is on a constant loop."

Bonnie's shoulders sagged. "Fine. Well, how about this? Today, I'm obsessed with numbers. Three numbers," she said. "I keep seeing 8, 14, and 22. How weird is that?" Elena's expression brightened as she looked at her friend. "Maybe we should play the lottery." Bonnie lamented to her friend who laughed at her expense. "Well, have you talked to Grams?" Elena inquired.