Night of the Comet: Dean I

I walked outside to the front of the building looking for Stefan and while I scoured the area, overheard Matt and Elena talking about Vicki. Now wouldn't usually be a problem because it's just a couple of normal people discussing the medical condition of a close friend and family member.

Truth be told, I was prepared to tune out their conversation, but right then, Elena-- God, why is she such a good friend-- just had to ask what kind of animal attacked Vicki. I silently prayed to the universe that the answer Matt responded with was not the "v" word.

But since when does the universe ever listen to me?

"She said it was a vampire," Matt replied. And just like that all my hopes, as well as my chances of finishing out my senior year of high school like a normal teenager, were completely pulverized. As if the universe was finally listening to me, my eyes magically zeroed in on Stefan. I darted across the lot as fast as I could to get to my friend.

"Stefan!" I yelled. I saw him blink a few times before he gazed in my direction. "Dean, hey, I'm sorry, I can't talk right," he said. "I have to go--" "Vicki knows that she was attacked by a vampire," I wheezed, doubling over and bracing myself on my knees. "How'd you find out?" Stefan asked in disbelief. "Prob'ly the same way you did: eavesdropping," I gasped in between breaths.

"This is what Damon was trying to do," Stefan realized. "He's trying to set me up." At the mention of that sick bastard, I rolled my eyes. "Well, it's not like anyone's gonna believe Vicki saw a vampire, right?" I chimed hopefully. Stefan shook his head. "Not everyone will believe it, but there are people in this town besides my family who know vampires exist," he explained. "And with all of the sudden, animal-like attacks happening in town, I fear that those people might become aware of the vampire activity in this town once again." I let out a deep breath and said, "Then, we'd better go to the hospital after school so you can do your Jedi Mind Trick thingy."

"We?" Stefan raised his brow.

"Somebody's gotta watch your six," I answered back.

"It's a hospital!" he deadpanned.

"Filled to the brim with blood and weak patients who can't defend themselves against you if you start wigging out," I retorted. "Also, Matt is going back this afternoon to see his sister again and it might be a little hard to explain why the new guy in town is "visiting" the star quarterback's sister in the ICU if you get caught."

Stefan narrowed his eyes at me and in return I gave him a lopsided smirk. His shoulders sagged and I knew he'd given up.

"Fine. After school, we head straight to the hospital and we don't stop anywhere else," Stefan sighed. "Got it?"

"See you then."