Friday Night Bites: Stefan II

After Dean, Sam, and Elena went off to the kitchen, Caroline and Bonnie excused themselves to go outside for a quick word in private while I was left to sit with my insanely jealous older brother. Speaking of which... "Are happy now?" I asked him vaguely. His eyes glimmered impishly as his lips curled into a wicked grin. "Well, I'm not so sure what you mean, dear brother," he said cheerily. "Don't bullshit me, Damon!" I snapped lowly. "Not only did you just out the only man you ever loved, but you also just destroyed the last shred of trust between his brother and quite possibly damaged his relationship with Elena."

"Okay, to both your points: Dean can do so much better than that... copycat Katherine; and Sam, well... I think his attitude tonight spoke volumes of his personality," Damon replied with a roll of his eyes. I gaped at my brother in shock, as it dawned on me that... "This is exactly what you wanted to happen," I huffed. "Now, you're catching on," Damon grinned. I struggled to keep myself calm so that I didn't reach out to strangle him for his pettiness and envy. "Well, regardless, your actions only served to push him away from you, not bring him closer," I scoffed. Damon tilted his head at me. "I think you and I both know that it's gonna take something a lot worse than this little stunt for him to really hate me forever, little brother," he said with a roll of his eyes.

With that, he got to his feet and strolled off to the kitchen. About thirty seconds after, Sam and Dean came rushing out of the kitchen whispering harshly to each other. "Sam, can we please just talk about this?" Dean said in hushed tones. Sam scoffed and stared at his brother incredulously. Then he shook his head and turned to walk out of the door. Letting out a deep sigh, Dean quickly followed after him in what I assume was an attempt to fix the situation or salvage it somehow.

That left me alone to stew in my thoughts about how to go about cleaning up all of Damon's messes... again. Just then, Caroline came back into the room, and before I knew it, the two of us started talking to each other.

Oh, well, guess I'll have to plan the cleanup job tomorrow.

When the conversation started to take a turn into Matt territory, I admittedly became a little more anxious than I already was. "Don't get me wrong, like, Matt tries, but he's just having a really hard time," Caroline explained genuinely. "And you have to understand that they were each other's first. You know, like from the sandbox. And that was before Dean and his brother showed up."

At that exact moment, Dean walked back into the house with tears streaming down his face. Immediately, I got up and ran up to my friend, and wrapped my arms around him protectively. In response, Dean flung his arms up to grip my shoulders as he buried his head in my neck and sobbed quietly. "I'm gonna kill him, Stef," he whispered in my ear. I sighed. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who he meant. "Dean," I started. "No, Stefan, I'm serious this time," Dean snarled, pulling away from me in an instant. "He's gone way too far this time. I hate him, Stefan." Then, without another word, he turned and walked back towards the door. "Hey, hey, wait. What about Elena? Shouldn't you stay with her to make sure she's safe?" I stammered.

Dean stopped. "I'll come back later tonight. Just make sure she's safe till then." Then, he was gone.