Night of the Comet: Between Brothers (Salvatore I)

As soon as the hunter exited their house Damon glared at his brother. "How the hell does Dean have vervain?"

"Beats me, Damon," Stefan shrugged absently. "Although, he is a Hunter, which means he has ways of finding out his enemy's weakness; kind of in the job description." Damon's eyes narrowed into slits. "This is serious, Stefan!" He hissed. "I'm not the only one at risk if he completes the rest of that curse."

"Well, if you think Dean is such a risky player, why didn't you take him off the board?" Stefan shot back. "Hmm? Why not let him wither away in Bobby's cellar? Why save him from the eternal darkness that you claim would haunt him forever?"

The words from the younger Salvatore made Damon's blood freeze in his veins and his gaze softened. For that one moment, Stefan saw traces of the man Damon used to be flickering in the blue of his eyes; the man he used to call "brother." It sparked an ember of hope in Stefan's heart.

Maybe Damon could be saved... With the right persuasion.

"So are you gonna answer or..." the young immortal trailed off.

"You know why I let him live," Damon returned, not missing a beat. "It's why you are rubbing it in my face of how close you've both got."

Oh, no, Stefan was losing him. He should have known that Damon's moment of sentimentality wouldn't last. "Damon, how many times do we have to go through this?" Stefan interrogated. "How many centuries are you going to remind me that I made a mistake?"

"Made a mistake?" Damon growled. "You took apart the last shred of good that I had in my life. It was your mistake that made me who I am!"

Then, in a fit of rage, Damon stormed out of the foyer leaving Stefan alone in his own dismal thoughts.