162 Candles: Caroline I

As music blared over the overhead speakers, I looked out at the crowd of all my friends and their friends with a proud grin as they moved on the dance floor, partying the night away.

Another successful Caroline Forbes Extravaganza in the books. I thought.

My eyes surveyed the interior of the Grill, and I felt my heart flutter when I unintentionally caught Damon's glance from where he sat across the room at the bar. He jerked his head to the side, urging me to approach him, which I did, uncaring about how eager I was to see him as I went.

"Amazing party, right?" I beamed as I stopped in front of Damon.

"So glad you thought of it," Damon said, barely restraining the annoyance in his voice, as he took a sip from his glass of whiskey.

"Well, are you having a good time?"  I asked, trying not to let my voice crack as my heart pounded faster in my chest.

"Do you have my crystal?" Damon replied, with a questioning smirk.

My smile wavered slightly as he asked that. "No," I said, shaking my head.

Damon's smirk dissolved back into an annoyed scowl. "Then, no, I'm not having a good time."

Just then, he looked over my shoulder and grinned, making me turn around to see who had caught his attention. When I saw who he was staring at, a flare of jealousy rose inside my chest as another blonde girl wearing all black walked into the Grill, eliciting a devious grin from Damon. Then without even sparing me a second glance, he got up from the bar, ogling the blonde-haired bitch, and walked away from me.

It seems like nothing I do will ever be enough for him.

Because I'm not Elena.

And I'm sure as hell not Dean.

I'll never be good enough.