162 Candles: He said, She Said, Who Said?

"Where did Vicki say she was going?" the sheriff asked Jeremy as she questioned him about Vicki's disappearance.

"She didn't," he replied.

Since the death of Logan Fell and the sudden lack of vampire activity, Sheriff Forbes has been given more time to follow up on the Donovan case. However, she still wasn't totally convinced that Vicki's disappearance as well as the radio silence from the vampires in the area were unrelated. And thus, she was exploring every avenue, every hidden path that she could to finally bring this vampire (or vampires) down.

"Did she tell her brother?" she pressed.

*         *         *

"No she didn't say anything to me," Matt answered when he was brought in and questioned. "She told Jeremy to tell me she was leaving town."

"Well, is there anyone I can talk to that may know what happened other prior to her leaving town?" Sheriff Forbes inquired.

"Stefan Salvatore might know," Matt stated. "He came by the house to see her, but she wouldn't talk to him."

Sheriff Forbes arched her brow in curiosity. "Well, what was he doing?"

*         *         *

"I was trying to help her," Stefan responded coolly. "I knew that Elena was worried about her brother. He was dating Vicki and she had a drug problem so I tried to help."

"So you got involved because Elena asked you to?" she questioned, her brain becoming more fried the longer she listened to each teenager's testimony.

*         *         *

"I asked Stefan and Dean to get involved," Elena sighed. "I thought that by helping Vicki, they would be helping my brother."

"Wait so you asked Stefan and Dean for help?" Forbes examined.

"Yes. You see, Dean's brother Sam is friends with Jeremy, but because of my brother's relationship and erratic behavior since our parents died, their friendship has been coming apart," Elena explained. "Dean caught a whiff of that and the two of us thought the best solution that ended with all parties being happy would be if Dean helped Vicki get better."

"And where is Dean?" the sheriff investigated.

*         *         *

"He's at home sick," Sam lied. "He came down with something last week at the Halloween party and has been bedridden since then. My guess is it was something he ate."

"Well, when he feels better, tell him to come down to the station to give his statement," Sheriff Forbes smiled softly. Sam nodded in response.

"Now then, from what the others have told me, you and Jeremy have had a very tenuous friendship, yes?"

Sam snorted, "That's putting it lightly. Look, Jeremy and I, we've had our ups and downs, but this is the one time where I thought I needed some help wrangling him. And even then, it was less so about him and more so about Vicki."

"And what was Vicki's behavior like before she left?" the sheriff said inquisitively.

*         *         *

"Up and down," Matt said. "Very sketchy, like... she was coming down from some major partying."

"Any signs of aggression or violence?"

*         *         *

"Not that I can remember," Jeremy answered honestly.

*         *         *

"No," Stefan shook his head.

*         *         *

"No, I can't," Elena commented.

*         *         *

"Sorry, but no," Sam reiterated.

*         *         *

"So you believe Vicki really has left town?" the sheriff exhaled in barely concealed frustration.

"Yes," Matt nodded.

*         *         *

"Yes," Stefan declared.

*         *         *

"Yes," Elena huffed.

*          *         *

"Yes, I do," Sam affirmed.

*         *         *

"I'll miss her, but... I think it's for the best," Jeremy stated, repeating what Damon's compulsion told him to say.

*                              *                              *

The sheriff pinched the bridge of her nose in exhaustion. All of these kids' testimonies matched up and there was no evidence that they had witnessed any sort of vampire attack or another kind of nefarious incursion. And without Dean's testimony— which would presumably be the same as his brother's or Stefan's— or any evidence of foul play, the sheriff had no choice but to release them.

Which meant that she was back to square one. Again.