Stefan II

Sept. 9th, 2009

8:00 P.M.

Later that evening when I got home from the grill, I was changing out of my clothes and into something more lounge-ish, while contemplating all the things that I observed when I was with them. The one thing that really stuck out to me was how Elena seemed to cling to Dean. It would have been very peculiar if I didn't already know that Dean was her only lifeline after her parents died. Still, it seemed like there was more to it than her needing him simply because he gave her hope in a dark period of her life; a period that is still occurring as of now.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it. But if I'm not, then I don't want to force her into a relationship that she may not want. If she has feelings for Dean, then I'm not gonna try and get in the middle of that. Hell, I would be content to just be her friend if that's what she wanted.

All I want is to know her no matter what capacity that might be in.

Just then, I heard footsteps coming from down the hall. Zach. "You promised!" he announced loudly, as he entered my room. I turned around to face him and Zach shoved a newspaper into my hands. It was almost the same article that Dean showed me the other day, except the Headline now read: BODIES FOUND MUTILATED BY ANIMAL.

I furrowed my brow in concern. "This was an animal," I said, though my mind screamed at me contrary. "Don't give me that," Zach snapped. "I know the game. You tear them up enough, they always suspect an animal attack. You said you had it under control."

"I do." I thrust the paper back into his hand. "Please, Uncle Stefan," he begged. "Mystic Falls is a different place now. It's been quiet for years, but there are still people who remember." I gazed at him darkly. "And let me guess? Me being here is just going to stir things up," I snarked rhetorically. "Well, you don't have to worry, okay. Dean is already getting on this situation and he'll give me a heads up if there's trouble."

"Dean Winchester? Seriously?" Zach scoffed. "Do you have any idea how reckless those Winchester hunters are? I've heard stories about what happens to people who get mixed up with them; it never ends well." "I know the stories, too, and I still trust him with my life," I countered. "He could be lying to you," Zach argued, "gaining your trust so that you can let your guard down and he can drive a stake through your heart."

"If he wanted to kill me, he would've done that back in Missions Creek, Ohio, over two years ago," I admitted. A deep silence penetrated the room and I let out a deep sigh, taking a step closer to my nephew. "Listen, I don't want to stir up trouble, it's not my intention," I stated truthfully.

"Then what is?" He asked. "Why did you come back? After all this time, why now?"

"I don't have to explain myself."

"I know that you can't change what you are," my nephew started. "But you don't belong here anymore."

"Where do I belong?" I questioned.

"I can't tell you what to do, but coming home was a mistake," he replied. And with that, he walked away. As soon as he was gone, I went over to my wardrobe closet and opened its doors wide, searching through it for the journal I was looking for. Then, I flipped through its old pages until I found the old picture I had of my first love Katherine, who bore a striking resemblance to the one and only Elena Gilbert.

That's when I remembered the words Dean had spoken to me this past summer.

~flashback~

I met with him in Wisconsin after we had just cleaned out a nest of Evarian Alpha vampires. "Look, man, I've been in the game for as long as I can remember, and I've seen just about everything. But this whole deal with Elena and Katherine is messed up!" He had said. "I'm not saying you're using her as a replacement for Katherine, but Lena just lost her parents and I don't want her to get hurt anymore. Just make sure that if you come home it's for the right reasons and not the selfish ones."

I looked up at him solemnly. "I would never hurt her, I promise you." Dean shot me a half-smile, but it obviously lacked its usual mirth, which was unsurprising after what I had just told him. "Come on," he said, "let's get some grub and get the hell out of here. We'll talk about this crap on the way back to Sioux Falls."

~end of flashback~

I blinked and came back to reality and delicately held the photograph.

Maybe coming back was a mistake.