73|the hard way

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of writing a season where the love interest isn't constantly present.

——————————

"His trap didn't work," Malia pointed out as we walked in the direction Liam and Lori had gone

"Maybe this hunter is not such an amateur," Scott suggested.

"Or maybe he's learning."

I pursed my lips, beginning to walk faster. "Either way, we need to get to Brett before they do."

We managed to catch up with Lori and Liam who had stopped in a small area where the trees weren't as dense. One quick scan of the area, and I knew Brett wasn't here.

Trying to catch onto a scent, Malia shook her head. "The trail's gone."

"He could've just stopped bleeding, right?" Isaac shrugged. "Started healing?"

"Not if they put something on whatever they stabbed him with," I countered.

"I think we should split up," Liam said quickly, turning to Scott. "Lori and I go this way, Riley and Isaac that way, and you and Malia that way."

Lori was beginning to grow even more concerned for her brother. "Or maybe we go in six different directions?"

"We should stick together," Malia told the two.

Liam shook his head, "We have the advantage, it's six against one."

"Is it?" I asked, looking over to him. "Have you seen that it's just one person? Because if you make a decision based on an assumption, you risk getting people killed."

"You know," Liam said, frowning. "I've been doing this the past three months without help from any of you. I think I can make a decision."

"Well, if you're deciding to do something stupid and die, then go ahead," Malia told him, agreeing with me in her own way.

"It's one hunter, one amateur who doesn't know what they're doing."

"Scott?"

The Alpha was examining the ground, Isaac by his side. Our argument with Liam had distracted me enough that they had been whispering between themselves, both with grim looks on their faces.

Scott moved somewhat, shifting a branch to show us what they'd found. Underneath the fallen leaves and branches were footprints.

"The hunter. He's covering his tracks," Liam realised.

"There's another," Scott informed us, shifting more leaves to show another set of footprints.

I turned to Liam, not hiding my frustration with the boy. "Still think it's just one amateur hunter?"

Liam looked away, keeping his anger bottled as if that would stop me from seeing how my question had gotten to him. It probably came off as me questioning his ability to do this without our help and if I were honest, maybe I was.