34|invasive species

Over halfway through the season, let's go

Longer chapter since the last one was pretty short

——————————

"What if we need some kind of trigger?" Scott asked as he, Kira, Stiles and I entered the school

"What if we need some kind of trigger?" Scott asked as he, Kira, Stiles and I entered the school. "Wasn't Malia driving when she remembered the crash?"

We had all fallen asleep while reading the book at Scott's last night. I had managed to get to the last few chapters, then read the rest before school. I had yet to feel anything from reading it though. I don't know what I was expecting, but when did we ever?

Stiles sighed, "Yeah, but how are we supposed to trigger a memory we don't remember?"

"Maybe it's a delayed thing. Maybe you have to wait a couple of hours to see what happens."

"Well, I wish it would hurry up," I told them, rolling my head. My spine was still a bit sore from falling asleep on the ground last night. Even having Stiles to rest my head on hadn't stopped the stiffness. "They keep making Chimeras and we are running out of time.

The hallway lights above us flickered as if on cue. Scott, Stiles and I all shared a look, before turning to direct our eyes at Kira.

The girl looked at all of us in turn, eyes wide. "That wasn't me. I swear."

"Then what was it?" I said quietly, glancing around the hallway as if someone would pop out and admit to it.

"I don't know," Scott replied. "But, we keep an eye on each other today, okay?"

"Yes, and keep an eye out for eight other potentially homicidal Chimeras," Stiles tacked on rather unenthusiastically with a little clap.

"And keep an eye out for the Dread Doctors," Kira added.

After we all agreed, Scott focussed on me, "We'll meet you in bio?"

I nodded, watching as Kira and Scott walked away, Scott placing his hand on Kira's back. I was glad they were finally an item. I had been worried after Allison had died that Scott wouldn't recover, but Kira seemed to be good for him.

"Starting to see the appeal of a third eye," Stiles stated loud enough that the two could hear as they walked away.

"How are you doing?" I asked Stiles, taking a step closer to him.

He tugged on the bag straps slung over his shoulder, eyes peering to the ground. "I've been worse."

I reached a hand forward, gently taking one of his hands in mine and talking quietly so no one could hear me. "Stiles, he is gone and no one was there. You're in the clear. No one has to know. Ever."

"Do you think we could skip school again? Just for today."

I was about to say yes when my words died in my throat. "Stiles, I wish I could, but I promised Charlotte that I wouldn't let my grades slip. I have AP bio today, and I can't fail that class. Any other day, and you know I would."