83|try again

"Isaac!"

"Isaac!"

I shook his shoulders, begging that he would wake up but nothing I did worked. I cried, I screamed, I swore, and I begged, but Isaac's eyes remained shut.

This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening. It all felt too familiar, like when my mother had died in my arms.

Just under five minutes later, Lydia's car screeched to a stop beside us. She jumped out quickly, rushing over to Isaac and me.

"Oh, my god," she said beneath her breath as she registered what she was seeing.

The strawberry blonde dropped down beside me, putting her arms around me. I tried to push her away at first, but she kept her arms around me. Eventually, I gave up, collapsing into her arms.

My cries were loud, the tears wracking my body as I leaned against Lydia. I didn't look away from him though, afraid that if there was a chance he was still alive I would miss his finger move or something.

"Riley, I'm so sorry," Lydia whispered to me.

I couldn't even stop crying long enough to respond to her. I felt sick to my stomach. It didn't matter that Isaac said this wasn't my fault - it sure as hell felt like it.

Lydia allowed me to continue to cry, stroking her fingers through my hair as she whispered to me. I wondered if this was how she felt whenever she found the dead bodies.

Another car arrived two minutes later. This time, it was the Jeep. Scott and Malia walked over, both of them slowing to a stop.

"What happened here?" Scott asked.

Lydia shrugged lightly beneath me, "I don't know the whole story. All she told me was that Isaac had been shot and that she needed me to drive him to the hospital."

"Riley?" Scott said softly as he crouched in front of Lydia and me. "Riley, what happened?"

I hiccupped as I tried to stop crying, glancing up at him. "It was Gerard. He thought it would be you taking me home. He had a message."

"What was it?" Malia asked.

My eyes found Isaac again as I told them, "He said he's coming for Scott. And that he's going to kill all of us."

Malia came over to my other side and put her arms around me also. It didn't make a difference though, I still felt cold.

There was a moment of silence before Scott spoke quietly. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Lydia asked.

"I think-" Scott hesitated a moment. "I think he's still alive."

I shook my head, "Scott, this isn't funny. I checked for a heartbeat."

"Were you listening properly?"

"Scott, I swear-"

The boy leant down and put his hands on my shoulders, "Ri, you did while you were emotional. You probably didn't even use your supernatural hearing. So, I need you to take a breath, and try again."