Chapter 54

-: Sarah :-

Joy, such a small word, yet it has the biggest impacts on each and every living being on this earth. Happiness and mental peace is something which is necessary for a healthy sustenance. Even if you don't have enough clothes or a permanent roof above your head or enough food to fill your stomach, if you have mental peace and living a happy life, no one is leading a better life than you.

Unfortunately my part of happiness and peace might have been over on the day I left my house. I didn't remember the last time when I had smiled freely or had even laughed. 

When was it? Was it 2 months ago? 3 months? Or an eternity ago?

The sun was going down the horizon as I stared at the trail in the woods which was turning dark with every passing minute. A door to my back clicked open, and my daze broke as I curled my fingers into a fist and pulled it around me, tucking them beneath my armpits. 

Shivering lightly at the steady drop of temperature outside the glass windows, I turned back slowly to gaze at the woman, who was smiling back at me.

Chase ambled up to me slowly, his facial features soft and body relaxed beyond normal. I had never seen him this relaxed before.

His steps halted in front of me and he held out his plans in front of my face, hesitant to cup it.

"Hey love," he whispered, his voice gentle.

I didn't understand his behavior.  He was treating me like a porcelain doll since the day he rescued me from the hell hole. But I wasn't broken, and I didn't want him to  give me special treatment.

Taking a step forward I moulded my face into his hands and anchored my body into him, wrapping my arms around his broad back. The muscles contracted beneath my touch.

"Who's she?" I asked, eyeing the woman as Chase lightly brushed his other hand on my back.

"Your doctor. Come."

My eyebrows furrowed at his statement. Doctor? Again? 

Pulling away I peered up at him, narrowing down my eyes. "How many times have I told you that I don't need any doctor? I'm perfectly fine and healthy."

"Of-course you're, love. No one said you're sick. She's just here for weekly check ups so that we stay in good health," Chase assured me.

"Really? All of us? Has she checked everyone?" How could she check all the people living in the whole mansion all by herself?

"Yes, you're the last one. All of us are in good shapes. After she's done with you, she would go away," Chase passed me a smile, grasping my shoulders lightly.

"Okay. But you must warn her, it's not just me, but my baby too. She might need to work extra on me." It wouldn't harm to get checked up by a doctor once in a while.

The Doctor's face snapped towards Chase as she eyed him incredulously, as if I was talking in an undetectable language.

But as soon as she saw me looking at her, a wide beam broke out on the Doctor's face and I eyed her. She was really strange. 

"Hello Sarah. Hope you're doing well," she stated, taking out her stethoscope and sitting across from me. I just passed her a curt nod and gripped Chase's hand for some extra support. I didn't know why but I felt like touching him.

Not having him beside me during the last stages of my pregnancy had turned me utterly clingy. I always craved touching him or having him close to me.