Chapter 41

SARAH

"What do you mean leaving!?" I exclaimed out in surprise as soon as Ares and Diana were done talking. Their face whipped towards me, before Ares shook his head, rolled his eyes and look back at Diana, ignoring my existence.

"I will go now, I have things to prepare before the journey starts. Take care," Ares said, nodding his head at her, kissed Diana's lips and strode away from the hallway.

My jaw had hit the floor as I saw his retreating figure and Diana gave me a thinned lip smile.

"Diana? Explain. Tell me that I had misheard something?" I pleaded, expecting her to correct me. But she didn't. Instead she shrugged her shoulders and rubbed her arm.

"You didn't. They are leaving tonight," Diana said, in a low tone, before she tucked the book underneath her arms and walked away.

The ground slipped from beneath my toe, and my mouth parted in surprise. He was going, and he didn't even tell me.

After yesterday's incident with Chase in the drawing room, I had left for the forest with Keven. I wanted some fresh air and time to think about us. Keven stood behind me, mute and his arms, crossed on his chest. His eyes, vigilant as usual.

My mind had wandered through so many things, to times where we had spent so much time with each other and had helped each other in healing. I was mad at Chase for calling me fucking surrogate, but I had also seen regret in his eyes when he begged me to give him a chance.

I was too angry and overwhelmed to listen to him at that time. My brain aas fogged with doubts that he only cared about the baby, and at the back of the mind, I still had that doubt lurking. Thats why I didn't let him talk to me.

But I couldn't deny the truth to myself, which was that I loved him. I had already fallen deep into this, and even having the mere thought of leaving him was way to unsettling for me.

I had decided to give him a chance to speak atleast. I needed to know what really drove him to call me that when he himself loathed it, when Ariadne called me that.

I woke up today with the fresh determination to mend things between us. But now, he was leaving...

"Sarah? Would you like to....?"

Keven was saying something behind me, but it faded out. Was Chase tired of trying to persue me? If that was the case then I did the right thing when I didn't let him speak to me. But what if this was really urgent? Where was he even going?

Keven!

My face snapped towards Keven, who was standing behind me. His eyes widened when he saw me turning so fast and his arms were stretched out to grasp me, if I get whiplash.

"Keven, do you know where Chase is going?" I asked, unable to keep the curiosity in me anymore. Keven expressions furrowed and he shook his head.

"No Sarah, I am just a mere soldier and your bodyguard. We are not aware of the meetings the King and his consigliere attend." Keven said in a dejected tone, and I pursued my lips. I needed to see Chase. Why didn't he inform me that he was departing?

"Keven, you go and rest. I am going to meet Chase," I said and turned away but his voice halted my steps.

"No Sarah, I had been told to be by your side every minute. Even when you are inside the mansion. I can't go," Keven said and stood his ground.