Chapter 11 ✔️

SARAH

I shouldn't be here.

This was a mistake.

This was not going to end up good.

Stop being a chicken for once!

I stood in front of the cottage with a tray in my hand filled with food. The night was pitch black as the sky was cloudy and the moon was hiding behind them. Cold harsh breeze nipped at my skin. The eerie silence and the dangling branches of the tree was also spine chilling. It was giving me creepy vibes.

I tightened my hold on the tray and try to sink in more in my oversized sweater. Apparently Chase had disappeared in this cottage for long 57 hours and he refused to come out. No one had the guts to come here, firstly because they didn't have permission and secondly, they didn't want to be the prey of his scorching anger.

I tried to ask Keven about him but he refused to answer. But when I heard the maids taking among themselves that their "boss" had not eaten anything for 2 long days, I did not think of anything else. Grabbing a plate I filled it with food and came here. Keven and the other guards tried to stop me as nobody was allowed to walk on the gravel path, let alone enter the cottage, but one long hard stare at them and they backed away. As I was walking out I heard Ares murmuring 'Never thought that this ducky can look so intimidating'.

Keven refused to accompany me but he and the others were standing at the end of the path, their hands joined together.

I took a deep breath and licked my lips. They were trembling in cold and anticipation and I swallowed down hard. Finally gaining enough courage and giving myself the pep talk, I knocked on the cottage door softly. The sound would have been barely audible but due to the eerie silence of the forest it echoed slightly.

When I looked back at the place where the maids and the guards were standing a minute ago, to gain some confidence, I didn't find a single soul standing there.

They freaking ran away!?

Cowards!

I was afraid now. What if he murders me inside the cottage. My soul would forever be trapped in this house, and I would haunt the caretaker.

Or what if he cut my body into tiny pieces and decorate the gravel path with them!

Shut up dumbo! You are behaving like a lunatic. What's the worst he can do?

Well, I had no idea. Chase Morgan was a difficult person. He had the power to create an illusion in front of your eyes, and when apparently you would be at your weakest he would strike. His behavior had always confused me always.

Without thinking much, I grabbed the door knob and twisted it open. Stepping inside the cottage I gasped in surprise. It was illuminated with tiny colorful fairy lights, all around the kitchen area and the hearth. It was cozy and homely. There was a tiny bedroom one one side, as the door was slightly ajar and on the other side, wooden stairs lead to the first floor. I kept the tray on the coffee table and checked the bedroom, but found no one inside.

Coming out of the bedroom I looked up at the stairs.

Should I check upstairs?